2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who Sells Spider Gears for 9.25 Trac-Lok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Who Sells Spider Gears for 9.25 Trac-Lok?

Hey guys, it appears it's time for my annual truck project. This year...the rear diff. Thing grenaded on my yesterday so I get to rebuild it over the holidays...fun fun.

I've ordered all the parts I think I need, and I'm hoping and praying the spider gears are fine. Trouble is, if they are hosed, I don't know where to find a set. Rockauto, and other distributors all only show spider gear sets for open differentials, and the dealer said he can only get the entire carrier (800 bucks for a Dana unit...hahahahaha!).

Yukon appears to sell a set, but I think it's only for their LSD, not the factory Dana LSD...and it's really expensive. Like $250 and you still have to buy the clutch plates.

Anyone know of a company that sells these? Thanks

Answers to anticipates questions/comments:
1. No, I don't plan on just getting another axle unit from the junkyard. I've got 4.10s front and rear, and haven't found any off road trucks being parted out locally. Also, I'm too lazy to go lay in a muddy junkyard and remove an axle assembly I don't know for a fact is good.
2. Yes, if the spider gears are hosed, and I can't get them, I'll put a truetrac in it instead of a replacement trac-lok. Eaton is running a $100 rebate on differentials through the end of the year, so I can get a truetrac for $450 shipped through summit.

Last edited by Skeptic68W; 12-17-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Hey guys, it appears it's time for my annual truck project. This year...the rear diff. Thing grenaded on my yesterday so I get to rebuild it over the holidays...fun fun.

I've ordered all the parts I think I need, and I'm hoping and praying the spider gears are fine. Trouble is, if they are hosed, I don't know where to find a set. Rockauto, and other distributors all only show spider gear sets for open differentials, and the dealer said he can only get the entire carrier (800 bucks for a Dana unit...hahahahaha!).

Yukon appears to sell a set, but I think it's only for their LSD, not the factory Dana LSD...and it's really expensive. Like $250 and you still have to buy the clutch plates.

Anyone know of a company that sells these? Thanks

Answers to anticipates questions/comments:
1. No, I don't plan on just getting another axle unit from the junkyard. I've got 4.10s front and rear, and haven't found any off road trucks being parted out locally. Also, I'm too lazy to go lay in a muddy junkyard and remove an axle assembly I don't know for a fact is good.
2. Yes, if the spider gears are hosed, and I can't get them, I'll put a truetrac in it instead of a replacement trac-lok. Eaton is running a $100 rebate on differentials through the end of the year, so I can get a truetrac for $450 shipped through summit.
Upgrade to a locker that's my $0.02

Old 12-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Upgrade to a locker that's my $0.02
No way. Full-time locker is way too aggressive for 99% of my driving which is on dry city streets. Limited slip is nice for snowy weather. I have no need for a locker.

Select-able is too expensive.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No way. Full-time locker is way too aggressive for 99% of my driving which is on dry city streets. Limited slip is nice for snowy weather. I have no need for a locker.

Select-able is too expensive.
Technically a true track is a selectable locker. The track-lok is flawed from the factory. I would replace it with something more reliable. I personally have full time locker in my rear and an ARB in the front, and have no problems.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran

Technically a true track is a selectable locker. The track-lok is flawed from the factory. I would replace it with something more reliable. I personally have full time locker in my rear and an ARB in the front, and have no problems.
...no, a truetrac is a helical gear driven limited slip differential. It is in no way a locker.

Good for you, still not interested in a locker.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

...no, a truetrac is a helical gear driven limited slip differential. It is in no way a locker.

Good for you, still not interested in a locker.
Call them and ask they will tell you it's a version of a locker. But hell what do I know only been a Dodge Technician and own an off road shop. Go build your flawed Track-lok then come back crying they it broke. I don't think you should rebuild your differential if you can't even find spider gears. Just my $0.02

Old 12-17-2018, 09:49 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The Truetrac is not a locker. Also daily driving with a rear locker isn't bad at all, I have one in the rear of all three of my vehicles.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think you should rebuild your differential if you can't even find spider gears. Just my $0.02
So I am assuming you found spider gears for an 9.25" Trac lock, care to post a link?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Quick Reply: Who Sells Spider Gears for 9.25 Trac-Lok?