1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What is this vacuum line called?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Drys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this vacuum line called?

Noticed this line completely disintegrated and not connected to its fitting. Having trouble looking up what the line is called, it is located on the front side of the carb.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

What''s the other en connected to? Really, just take that short piece off and go to a parts store. They sell rubber lines in bulk. Just match up the size.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

That metal tube looks like the part that the rubber elbow from the MAP sensor connects to.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Drys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
What''s the other en connected to? Really, just take that short piece off and go to a parts store. They sell rubber lines in bulk. Just match up the size.
Is the connecting plastic/metal thing between the two lines a filter of some sort or just an extension (male to male) ?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Could be a check valve. Don't overthink it. Just replace the broken part.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If there is enough slack in that line, just pull the check valve out, cut the line, put the check valve back in, and use the piece you just cut off to reconnect it to the throttle body.

Otherwise, a quick trip to the parts store, and they can match up the line without any trouble. They sell it by the foot though, and it looks like you need about an inch or so.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:09 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That line gets very hard when it gets old, replace the whole thing. I bought 1/4" vacuum line for that, replaced all of the pieces from the connection you show down to where it goes into the intake manifold, including where it connects to the plastic line that runs back toward the cowl.

If you remove it from the TB or the intake port the old hose will break anyway. Just carefully cut the check valve loose from the old vacuum line.

Steve

Old 01-11-2019, 06:42 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I can see the picture now.

If I'm not mistaken, the OTHER end of that line goes to the brake booster; and you'll need that check valve in there so that you can brake when you have to panic stop during acceleration or other low-vacuum conditions.

(If I am mistaken, then best bet is to follow that line to wherever.)

But I'm with glenlloyd - your truck is old enough you need to plan on replacing ALL the vacuum lines because of your cousin and mine, Justin Case.

RwP

Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I popped the hood on my 94 3.9 and that metal tube has a vac line that comes off it and runs down the intake on the passenger side and back toward the firewall between the Valve cover and intake. The MAP sensor is to the right of it which I now see in the picture ! duh.. I saw nothing like the check valve in the picture, the vac tube on mine is that hard plastic stuff with the expanded plastic covering for heat protection. Its all about toasted. .
Also I guess my eyes are better this morning. You need a short piece of tube to reconnect that. I had to spray it and carefully use a flat screw driver to remove it from the TB when I did the plenum. I suppose I should do all my vac lines too. :/

Last edited by onemore94dak; 01-11-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I found this vac diagram and it looks like your line goes to or comes from the Evap Canister. That thing is an Orifice Check valve.
https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/0tq...ling-when.html

Quick Reply: What is this vacuum line called?