2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

totaled...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Default totaled...

Kid lost control in the ice storm, hit a utility pole, and pretty much totaled our 2000 today. He somehow walked out of it unharmed. Had a tow truck extract it and drag it home, but I don't think its going to be much more than a parts source. So I'm on the prowl for a replacement, 2000 to 2002 3/4 ton regular cab 4x4. 5.9 V8 preferred, but might consider others.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:20 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

That sucks! Are you okay? So sorry there's one less 2nd gen on the road . . . .

Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Before....

After...

Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Had it towed home, lots of carnage. After passing through the 5 stages of grief, I was ready to assess what we had left. We started the tear down tonight, got about an hour in before it got too dark and cold to continue. Everything that was connected to the driver fender is broken. The engine didn't take a hit. Hood/bumper and core support are off now. The radiator, a/c and trans cooler were original mopar pieces (surprised). The left fender is so mashed, we are having a hard time getting it removed. Control arms for the axle are bent up pretty good.

Pretty busy tomorrow, probably won't get back to it. Maybe we can resurrect this thing again. I need to find another 20" wheel, the left one is bent really bad.

I'm actively searching for another truck. 2000-2002 standard cab 4x4 is what I'm after. Any leads would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

That thing is totaled. You will spend more fixing than its worth.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That thing is totaled. You will spend more fixing than its worth.
Yep, that is the title of the thread. Rather use this one as parts for a replacement truck, but finding a suitable one is going to take time. I think taking the kid through disassembly/assessment process is a worthwhile learning experience. Plus we will have a listing of what is good and I'll just scrap the bad stuff and get it off the property.

Once we get enough of the carnage removed, we'll take some measurements to determine how tweaked the carcass is. If the frame is workable, we'll price out the list and get a grand total in parts including painting supplies. Then let math make the decision of whether this one ever sees the road again.

Its also good therapy for me, I'm making some progress while waiting for a replacement to become available.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:19 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Yep, that is the title of the thread. Rather use this one as parts for a replacement truck, but finding a suitable one is going to take time. I think taking the kid through disassembly/assessment process is a worthwhile learning experience. Plus we will have a listing of what is good and I'll just scrap the bad stuff and get it off the property.

Once we get enough of the carnage removed, we'll take some measurements to determine how tweaked the carcass is. If the frame is workable, we'll price out the list and get a grand total in parts including painting supplies. Then let math make the decision of whether this one ever sees the road again.

Its also good therapy for me, I'm making some progress while waiting for a replacement to become available.

I'll buy it! I'll rebuild that thing for cheap and have it running in no time.

Old 02-23-2019, 06:17 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'll buy it! I'll rebuild that thing for cheap and have it running in no time.
Inside is perfect (puled a 99 SLT seat, and had the driver the seat bottom redone in original material), only thing wrong is the cracked dash top and the bezel has one crack in it. You've seen the rear corner. PM me a range of what you want to pay.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:37 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Got the fender unbolted this afternoon; some wires are still connected inside of the crumpled mess. The cold/wind is keeping me away from it today, or I'd probably have the axle out and the frame on jackstands....

I found a potential replacement candidate on Friday, but the seller is totally non-responsive. I can't understand why someone would go through the trouble to advertise a vehicle and then be unresponsive to potential buyers... frustrating. Anyway, search continues as we autopsy this utility pole victim...

I found some frame specs on line... Based on the collision damage, seems best to measure the cross between mounts (core support to cab support - 1465.4 mm), but I'm thinking the engine is going to be in the way. Dang, need a tram gauge right about now... anyone in the WPA area have one I can borrow

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yeah, the wind here is FIERCE. Better be tied to something heavy if you go outside.

Quick Reply: totaled...