2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Evap smoke test

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:29 AM
Chrissoup
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap smoke test

I did a smoke test to my 5.2 ram earlier today and had smoke coming out my oil cap. Does that mean my plenum is blown? Looked down the throttle body did see a little oil residue but my aluminum plenum plate was near clean just slight oily residue. Any thoughts?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

where did you introduce the smoke? if thru the intake snorkel it will flow thru the pcv system into the crankcase and out the oil cap...this would be a normal condition.
What are you trying to fix?

Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 AM
Chrissoup

Originally Posted by primem
where did you introduce the smoke? if thru the intake snorkel it will flow thru the pcv system into the crankcase and out the oil cap...this would be a normal condition.
What are you trying to fix?
i put it from hose to brake booster. Truck seems have no power, idles bit rough sometimes. And very poor throttle response.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrissoup
i put it from hose to brake booster. Truck seems have no power, idles bit rough sometimes. And very poor throttle response.
Did you ever clean the throttle body?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Chrissoup

No havent tried that yet but i think it might be distributor postion issue. Since i can hear it backfire sometimes at idle. Its in a different position then it was with my previous engine

Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrissoup
No havent tried that yet but i think it might be distributor postion issue. Since i can hear it backfire sometimes at idle. Its in a different position then it was with my previous engine
That's fuel sync that has to be done at the dealer

Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

The "fuel sync" procedure is not that difficult and explained in the service manual. The term "fuel sync" is a bit misleading IMO, it basically tells the ECM if cylinder 1 is at the top of the compression stroke or top of the exhaust stroke. All the ignition and injector timing is derived from the crankshaft position sensor. As the engine is running I doubt that it's way off but it's fairly easy to check.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Chrissoup

So can i set it myself or will i have take it to the dealer

Old 03-16-2019, 07:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You need set your engine on TDC #1 CYLINDER ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE! Then set the dizzy like this...

Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by DerTruck
The "fuel sync" procedure is not that difficult and explained in the service manual. The term "fuel sync" is a bit misleading IMO, it basically tells the ECM if cylinder 1 is at the top of the compression stroke or top of the exhaust stroke. All the ignition and injector timing is derived from the crankshaft position sensor. As the engine is running I doubt that it's way off but it's fairly easy to check.
The PCM needs to know which cylinder is in firing position, so it can fire the correct injector, thus, 'fuel sync'. Without the cam position sensor, the PCM won't know where the engine is in it's rotation, only that it is indeed turning. Fuel Sync needs to be within plus or minus 7 degrees for then engine to run best. You can likely get it 'close enough' to run setting it by hand, but, checking it with a scanner that can read that particular data, is a VERY good idea.

Quick Reply: Evap smoke test