1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Bakerdozer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door alignment

Hello. I’m new to the forum and just purchased my first Ram. ‘84 D250.

I have a question related to the drivers side door alignment. When the door is fully shut their is a large gap (+1/8”) between the the door top and rubber door seal. The gap goes the length of the top of the door. Compared to the passenger side, the drivers door sticks out far from the truck cab. The gap has let water in and rusted the floor pan.

Does anyone have tips, tricks or suggestions on how to close the gap? Is my door bent? There is some sag in the door as well. Other then the top gap the lines around the rest of the door look good.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-22-2019, 03:58 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the condition of the hinge pins??
You can loosen the bolts and move the door accordingly, if the back of the door sticks out you might have to move the striker in a touch. Or you might have to roll the window down, and bend the top of the door in, had to do that a few times when customers complained of air noise, or leaks. What kind of shape are the door seals in??
LMC truck has the seals, hinge pins can had from any parts store. I got pins from summit they come with enough to do both doors.

The following users liked this post:
Bakerdozer (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:47 PM
Bakerdozer

Thanks for the info! I tried bending the top of the door in. It helped some. No luck for the door pins at local parts stores. I like the idea though and will order a set online tonight. Rubber looks good. Thanks again.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

How does the door alignment look on the back side? Is the door flush with the rest of the body?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:16 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

that is one of those adjustments that you almost need to take the fender off to get right. mark hinges on the door loosen and push the door in. might be able to just adjust the top hinge to get it sucked in but will probably need to loosen the bottom hinge also to get it rotating enough depending on if the hinges are sloppy or not. a second body also makes this job a bit easier.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Bakerdozer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How does the door alignment look on the back side? Is the door flush with the rest of the body?
The backside of the door looks like it’s sticking out a tad bit. I will see if I can move the striker in a little.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Bakerdozer

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is one of those adjustments that you almost need to take the fender off to get right. mark hinges on the door loosen and push the door in. might be able to just adjust the top hinge to get it sucked in but will probably need to loosen the bottom hinge also to get it rotating enough depending on if the hinges are sloppy or not. a second body also makes this job a bit easier.
Thanks crazzywolfie. I’ll give it a shot. Should I only be messing with the bolts on the door and leave the cab side bolts alone?

Old 06-23-2019, 09:25 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

yes only mess with the bolts on the door. the other adjustments rotate the door. also don't adjust the striker till after you get the top door hinge adjusted to suck the top of the door in. you may not even need to adjust the striker at all.

The following users liked this post:
Bakerdozer (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Bakerdozer

I got the door pulled in a little. It’s supposed to rain tonight so I’ll see if it’s tight enough. There is still some sag in the door. I order some new pins and bushings to try out.

For now I’m pretty happy. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Door alignment