Dodge Charger The Dodge Charger. The car that made its competitors shiver in the 60's is reborn in 2006 into a sleek sedan that can still send the competition home wimpering, the Dodge Charger.

Check engine light from new member!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Ray Maramara
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light from new member!

Hello! decided to go all American starting this year; so when my Audi A4 lease came due, I decided to get a 2019 Dodge Charger Daytona 392. I love the car.
I've been doing some minor mods just to get my feet wet and I changed the coolant thermostat to a 185 Mishimoto as recommended in some of the forums. It's been fine for the last 200 miles or so. Yesterday, I got a check engine light with the code P0128; apparently a thermostat error. I had gone out in a hurry and, of course, accelerated rather quickly to start my errand trip.

How can I remove this light? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Save me a trip to the dealership...
Thanks!

Old 07-20-2019, 09:09 AM
Ray Maramara

Will a battery disconnect/reconnect remove this light?

Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

For a little while anyway. The computer expects the engine to get to a higher temp, when it doesn't, it will set the code. Only way to avoid that is to reinstall the stock temp 'stat, or, program the PCM for the lower temp stat.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For a little while anyway. The computer expects the engine to get to a higher temp, when it doesn't, it will set the code. Only way to avoid that is to reinstall the stock temp 'stat, or, program the PCM for the lower temp stat.
Yep. ^^. Put the stock thermostat back in or get a tune.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:56 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

great way to create a sludge build up in the motor...run it with a cold stat. water is a by-product of combustion...let the engine run at the temp designed to evaporate it off...water and oil = sludge. put the factory stat in it. cold temp probably will worsen the mpg too.

Last edited by primem; 07-21-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Ray Maramara

Originally Posted by primem
great way to create a sludge build up in the motor...run it with a cold stat. water is a by-product of combustion...let the engine run at the temp designed to evaporate it off...water and oil = sludge. put the factory stat in it. cold temp probably will worsen the mpg too.
Really? Most of the mods posts I've read that actually recommend this mod say otherwise. Sludge? Mmmm...sounds plausible.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Ray Maramara

I ended up going to the local dealership. I gentleman at the service area desk offered to have a look, brought his OBD2 analyzer, plugged it in, and viola! All fixed.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:18 PM
KDodge75
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll keep coming back on. Put your original thermostat back in.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

yep. he just cleared the code. its a rationality code. the pcm monitors the coolant temp after a cold start...the pcm knows that with a specific run time... the coolant temp should rise to a set number...if it doesn't get there....it thinks the thermostat is stuck open.

Last edited by primem; 07-22-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 216 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
Only if the engine isn't allowed to warm up properly or too many short trips where the oil doesn't get hot enough to burn the condensation off. Have a 180 in a hemi Magnum and it generally runs in the 188-195 range anyway. Stock thermostat is 203 and engine temps in the cars can reach 220 or more. The design of those engine bays isn't really the hot ticket for shedding heat. It's a good idea, especially in the earlier cars where if the engine gets just hot enough you'll drop a seat at the drop of a hat; there's a reason 392's come with a factory oil cooler.. Either way, thermostat temp needs to be tailored to the vehicle's normal operating environment and how it's generally driven (and of course any heat producing modifications).

Quick Reply: Check engine light from new member!