2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rocker Panel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 07:44 AM
SilentzHero
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker Panel replacement

So I'm getting ready to replace my rocker panel and cab corner on my driver side, ordered new panels just got them they look good.
I'm wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me what to expect. I am asking what am I supposed to do about the metal piece the back door latches on to that's attached to the rocker panel. Do I cut it of and put it on the new panel, or should I leave that section of the panel on the truck and just cut that section out of the new panel.
Also I'm replacing this part because it's rusted away in several spots and has been Bondo already before and it didn't last

Old 07-23-2019, 11:07 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SilentzHero
So I'm getting ready to replace my rocker panel and cab corner on my driver side, ordered new panels just got them they look good.
I'm wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me what to expect. I am asking what am I supposed to do about the metal piece the back door latches on to that's attached to the rocker panel. Do I cut it of and put it on the new panel, or should I leave that section of the panel on the truck and just cut that section out of the new panel.
Also I'm replacing this part because it's rusted away in several spots and has been Bondo already before and it didn't last
What your have there is a slip on rocker so there is no cutting there, as its not a full replacement rocker. As for the cab corner measure it cut the old out weld in the new.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
What your have there is a slip on rocker so there is no cutting there, as its not a full replacement rocker. As for the cab corner measure it cut the old out weld in the new.
Don't you have a thread where you did this? Or am I misremembering?

Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't you have a thread where you did this? Or am I misremembering?
@fj5gtx has one. I was going to make a thread but I got a new cab so I don't have to. the rocker he has there is made to be riveted or screwed to the current rocker, as it's not a full replacement.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
SilentzHero
Amateur

@fj5gtx has one. I was going to make a thread but I got a new cab so I don't have to. the rocker he has there is made to be riveted or screwed to the current rocker, as it's not a full replacement.
well **** I bought that thinking it was a full replacement nothing on the sales post indicated it was a slip on

Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM
SilentzHero
Amateur

I'm guessing it would be in my better interest to return the slip on panel and get the actual full replacement

Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I'm guessing it would be in my better interest to return the slip on panel and get the actual full replacement
I think you would be happier if you did.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Depending on how much time you want to put into it and where your rust is

Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 PM
SilentzHero
Amateur

Depending on how much time you want to put into it and where your rust is

Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yeah that's a full rocker. Personally I would buy once to repair all 4 holes on the rocker if the other metal is solid enough to weld to. I have a link here somewhere

Quick Reply: Rocker Panel replacement