2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 Running Hot-Leaking from Oil pan?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 Running Hot-Leaking from Oil pan?!

99 ram 5.2 running hot due to coolant leak so it keeps running low. I put a gallon and a half in two days ago and it took another gallon and a half today. Behind the water pump and the wheep seal are dry, all around intake is dry. I’m having trouble seeing the back but when I follow the leak from the bottom up it has a rust trail leaking from the oil pan and from what I can, it’s coming from the oil pan. Oil level is low and I need a oil change, I’m not suspecting coolant in oil though. As of right now I’m pretty sure it only leaks while running

https://imgur.com/a/dbTH667

Old 07-23-2019, 03:42 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 576 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
99 ram 5.2 running hot due to coolant leak so it keeps running low. I put a gallon and a half in two days ago and it took another gallon and a half today. Behind the water pump and the wheep seal are dry, all around intake is dry. I’m having trouble seeing the back but when I follow the leak from the bottom up it has a rust trail leaking from the oil pan and from what I can, it’s coming from the oil pan. Oil level is low and I need a oil change, I’m not suspecting coolant in oil though. As of right now I’m pretty sure it only leaks while running

https://imgur.com/a/dbTH667

I've not pulled a Magnum 318 apart but the older ones had expansion plugs on the back of the heads and I think a couple on the block. The block mounted plugs will be between the engine and transmission. If they leak, the water will drain out the bottom. I've had luck with Barr's Leak stopping rear expansion plugs that are leaking a little. I'll bet if those are leaking, you've got some others about to let loose too. Especially if someone ran plain water for a bit. You CAN replace them in the truck but it would be easier to pull the engine and replace all of them. If you go that far, I'd replace the timing chain and oil pump with a high volume one before re-installation.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:00 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've not pulled a Magnum 318 apart but the older ones had expansion plugs on the back of the heads and I think a couple on the block. The block mounted plugs will be between the engine and transmission. If they leak, the water will drain out the bottom. I've had luck with Barr's Leak stopping rear expansion plugs that are leaking a little. I'll bet if those are leaking, you've got some others about to let loose too. Especially if someone ran plain water for a bit. You CAN replace them in the truck but it would be easier to pull the engine and replace all of them. If you go that far, I'd replace the timing chain and oil pump with a high volume one before re-installation.
This seems reasonable, although this is leaking from the front of the oil pan ( by water pump). Any freeze plugs located in that area? Right next to the starter

Last edited by Chunx89; 07-23-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a freeze plug on the block, right by the starter. Here’s a picture when I had to replace it on my old 360.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:22 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
There is a freeze plug on the block, right by the starter. Here’s a picture when I had to replace it on my old 360.
This is good news, I’ll go check it out now. Never heard of these in my life. First time for everything

Old 07-23-2019, 04:55 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is good news, I’ll go check it out now. Never heard of these in my life. First time for everything
I replaced it with the engine still in there, it’s tough but definitely do-able.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM
Chunx89
Professional

I checked behind the starter and also behind the motor mount, no luck. I looked on the other side and they’re dry also. I only can see two behind the head,
both are dry

Old 07-23-2019, 05:24 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I checked behind the starter and also behind the motor mount, no luck. I looked on the other side and they’re dry also. I only can see two behind the head,
both are dry

Check around the bolts on the water pump. A couple of those go into the water jacket. They are supposed to have sealant on them. I'm thinking your water pump is about to pack it in though. If the seal is failing, it doesn't always come out the weep hole. If it only leaks under pressure while the engine is running, it is sprayed back on the block and will run down.

By the way, "freeze plug" is a misnomer. Yes, they pop out when the block freezes but only because the block cracks around them. They plug the oles where the sand is shaken out in the casting process. When I replace a worn out engine with a used one, I pop all of them out and flush the block with lots of water. You wouldn't believe how much rust and sand is in there until you get it out. I also replace the timing chain and oil pump. I put an engine with 98,000 miles in a truck once and it was still running strong 202,000 miles later when the truck broke in half from rot.

Old 07-23-2019, 05:46 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Check around the bolts on the water pump. A couple of those go into the water jacket. They are supposed to have sealant on them. I'm thinking your water pump is about to pack it in though. If the seal is failing, it doesn't always come out the weep hole. If it only leaks under pressure while the engine is running, it is sprayed back on the block and will run down.

By the way, "freeze plug" is a misnomer. Yes, they pop out when the block freezes but only because the block cracks around them. They plug the oles where the sand is shaken out in the casting process. When I replace a worn out engine with a used one, I pop all of them out and flush the block with lots of water. You wouldn't believe how much rust and sand is in there until you get it out. I also replace the timing chain and oil pump. I put an engine with 98,000 miles in a truck once and it was still running strong 202,000 miles later when the truck broke in half from rot.
Yeah im aiming towards it being back of the pump leaking, as soon as I start the truck it starts trickling down. It’s a brand new pump that’s been on there for about 3 months, seal must’ve gotten torn when installing

Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Yeah im aiming towards it being back of the pump leaking, as soon as I start the truck it starts trickling down. It’s a brand new pump that’s been on there for about 3 months, seal must’ve gotten torn when installing

New or rebuilt? I've seen rebuilt parts last a week or forever. It depends on who rebuilt it and their quality control. I had to replace 6 alternators in a week as I kept getting bad ones. Two of those never left the store as I had them checked while I was still there. If there is a bolt on back cover, the seal may have gone bad.

Quick Reply: 5.2 Running Hot-Leaking from Oil pan?!