3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 interference engine???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 05:36 AM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.7 interference engine???

So I can get this 03 ram 1500 2wd with the 4.7. The guy said it started bogging down on him while driving one day and started out to be just an occasional thing. Then it got to be an every day thing and he took it to his mechanic who said something about the timing guides and that the 4.7 is a piece of crap and refused to fix it. So the guy bought something else and is willing to sell this to me really cheap. What do you guys think could be the problem? And if it is an interference engine, what are the chances of it being ok if it's just got worn out guides?

Old 03-01-2021, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

It is not an interference engine. They are good engines but they do not like to be overheated. Bogging down could be anything. Is the check engine light on? I'd get it checked out by a mechanic first to determine the issue(s).

Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 AM
bradz
Rookie

Not sure if the check engine light is on or not. I've only seen the front end of the truck from his driveway while I was picking up a lawnmower from him. I wasn't really interested in the truck at the time but I asked him to start it and let me hear it and it started right up without hesitation and idled just fine for about 10 minutes. It did sound like it had a miss but it was barely noticeable. The truck is in great condition inside and out and it's a quad cab so for the price I'm going to buy it from him regardless of the engine issue. I'm just trying to get an idea of stuff I could check before I jump straight into replacing stuff. For the price of the truck, even if I end up replacing the engine, it will still be cheaper than any other quad cab truck posted for sale running or not.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 382 Likes on 343 Posts

The pistons have the ability to meet the valves, so they certainly are interference engines. I did valve stem seals/lifters almost a year ago and could support the valves with the pistons in TDC, so they wouldn't fall in. They are very sturdy if taken care of in the simplest manner (good oil and coolant).... mine has 320K mi. and still running like a top.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-01-2021 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jadwin311 (Today)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Thanks for the correction. I was LIED to!!!!

Old 03-01-2021, 12:08 PM
bradz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The pistons have the ability to meet the valves, so they certainly are interference engines. I did valve stem seals/lifters almost a year ago and could support the valves with the pistons in TDC, so they wouldn't fall in. They are very sturdy if taken care of in the simplest manner (good oil and coolant).... mine has 320K mi. and still running like a top.
Thanks, could worn timing guides cause the engine to bog down while driving? And could it have caused damage to the valves if it hasn't jumped time?

Old 03-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 382 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by bradz
Thanks, could worn timing guides cause the engine to bog down while driving? And could it have caused damage to the valves if it hasn't jumped time?
The valves wouldn't be damaged if the engine didn't jump time. Did the mechanic pull anything to checking the timing? He'd have to pull valve covers to get to the sprocketsl, otherwise he is just guessing. It's not only guides that can cause timing issues, lack of oil/oil maintenance causes chain stretch which is really just the individual chain links wearing due to lack of lubrication. Sort of like when you didn't grease your bike chain as a kid and it got sloppy.

It's possible it could have jumped a tooth, but bogging could be a lot of things, like JKeaton said. I would check all the easy/cheap stuff first, starting with any codes it might be spitting out. Bad plugs, dirty throttle body, transmission issues, vacuum leaks, badly clogged air filter (computer will adjust for this, but can only do so much), weak fuel pump, clogged injectors...I could go on. I'd start with codes, plugs and throttle body. Check Tranny fluid....

Last edited by Dodgevity; 03-01-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:04 PM
bradz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
It's possible it could have jumped a tooth, but bogging could be a lot of things, like JKeaton said. I would check all the easy/cheap stuff first, starting with any codes it might be spitting out. Bad plugs, dirty throttle body, transmission issues, vacuum leaks, badly clogged air filter (computer will adjust for this, but can only do so much), weak fuel pump, clogged injectors...I could go on. I'd start with codes, plugs and throttle body. Check Tranny fluid....
I'm not sure what his mechanic did to diagnose it. The easy/cheap stuff is going to be the first things I do anyway because I don't know the maintenance history. I have a cheapo code reader I bought from Walmart a few years ago but it does the same thing parts stores code reader does so if I need help with any codes I'll post back. And I'll start with the small stuff and where that gets it and I'll either post back with the fix or needing more help. Thanks

Old 03-01-2021, 07:42 PM
RedRam2002
Professional
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had bogging at highway speeds randomly when the Ram gets warmed up, and rough idling sometimes as well. Changed the throttle position sensor (TPS) last Thursday, around $100 part, and now its running smooth.(There were no codes except for the downstream O2 sensor and that's been on for the last year).

I'd do a good cleaning of the throttle body and Idle air control valve as well.

Last edited by RedRam2002; 03-01-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:44 PM
bradz
Rookie

Talked to the guy and he said his mechanic said his truck has a code for the cam sensor and the mechanic decided the timing chain guides were the problem.

Quick Reply: 4.7 interference engine???