2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 02:01 PM
JackAbe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change

Hello, I recently have been working on a 94 dodge 1500 with the 5.9 in it that had pretty much every sensor changed except the one in the title. The truck still ran but once it got up to temp it would die until it cooled down again. It never over heated just dies when it got up to normal operating temp. I diagnosed it as a crank position sensor and have replaced it but now thay everything is plugged in the truck just cranks over and over again but won't start. I've also done the thermostat on it and now I'm just kind of at a loss for my it won't start. Maybe I just got a bad sensor? Or anything else I should know about? I have the weird year woth the plastic bracket and Allen head bolts and the new one seems to go down the hole farther?

Last edited by JackAbe; 07-16-2024 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2024, 02:32 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Dodges hate after market sensors.

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 02:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

The crank sensor should be a Mopar sensor. Unfortunately, the aftermarket crank sensors tend to be hit or miss..

Old 07-16-2024, 02:51 PM
JackAbe

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The crank sensor should be a Mopar sensor. Unfortunately, the aftermarket crank sensors tend to be hit or miss..
Interesting, so would you recommend getting another brand? Or just getting the actual Mopar sensor? My year is the weird one with the plastic bracket and the Allen heads and I just couldnt find that one online.

Old 07-16-2024, 04:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

I'd go for a Mopar sensor. Contact the dealer to determine if the original part number has been superseded by a newer number.

I used a Borg-Warner crank sensor in my truck several years ago. It lasted about 3 years. When it failed, the truck would randomly cut off. I'd rest the computer and it would restart. Finally, it produced a code that pointed to a bad crank sensor. Replaced it with a Mopar crank sensor as recommended by folks on this site and no more issues to-date.

Old 07-17-2024, 01:18 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Mopar Sensor. For my Jeep 5.9, It used the same crank position sensor. I got a AZ one, brought it back, 2 from NAPA brought them back. Bought a Mopar one from Ebay, worked great. I put a Mopar one in my truck too and worked.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
JackAbe

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I'd go for a Mopar sensor. Contact the dealer to determine if the original part number has been superseded by a newer number.

I used a Borg-Warner crank sensor in my truck several years ago. It lasted about 3 years. When it failed, the truck would randomly cut off. I'd rest the computer and it would restart. Finally, it produced a code that pointed to a bad crank sensor. Replaced it with a Mopar crank sensor as recommended by folks on this site and no more issues to-date.
Hey so just to test I put in the old crank sensor that it started up and ran on but this time it also was a crank no start on the original one. Should I keep looking for a mopar one or do you think its something else?

Old Today, 05:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 370 Likes on 348 Posts

Contact the dealer to determine if the original part number has been superseded by a newer number.
You can do this here. As you can see it's discontinued. I put in a Delphi one years ago and it's still working.

Old Today, 11:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Question

Originally Posted by Moparite
You can do this here. As you can see it's discontinued. I put in a Delphi one years ago and it's still working.
Just curious - did Delphi make the crank sensors for Dodge?

Old Today, 11:17 AM
JackAbe

Originally Posted by Moparite
Hey so I found the Delphi branded one for my truck my concern though is that even when I put in the original one it was a crank no start where previously it ran on that one until it got up to temp so maybe another issue? I replaced all the coil wires leading to the distributor but maybe it's a distributor issue? I'm 90% sure the fuel pump is working.

Quick Reply: 94 ram won't start after crank position sensor change