2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 01:48 AM
sixways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome

Hoping someone knows the answer as my eyes are crossing from searching.
Detailing (trying) my truck. New'ish to me, no badges. Custom bumpers, lifted, quad cab (half doors), fog lights, short bed, different wheels than oem. Sides have oodles of *something* to polish out. Maybe I'm stupid but I have not been able to find a pic online of the exact trim/sub model. Probably an 8" span all down the sides. Plethora of 'chrome delete' vids ( oh I get it!) but the word 'chrome' gets thrown around alot when it's something else. And now I'm just curious what the Sport package offered back in the day across 1500-3500.
Does anyone know with certainty if the '99 Sport came with real chrome trim panels?? Polished aluminum? Only reason am saying Sport is I called a Dodge dealership with my Vin and they said it was. What were the Sport package choices on the 4x's and what oddities await in finding headlight housings etc for this year? (saw a thread on '99 Sport being an oddball for some parts fitting here).
Before I go batshyte with some 0000 steel wool or Mother's on an orbital I want to make sure what I'm trying to polish. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2024, 05:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

The "sport" came with body colored bumpers. No "chrome" anywhere. May want to post a pic of what you are talking about.

Old 07-19-2024, 02:48 PM
sixways

Originally Posted by Moparite
The "sport" came with body colored bumpers. No "chrome" anywhere. May want to post a pic of what you are talking about.
It's been hard using dropdown vehicle submodel choices for parts online because they all use different descriptions. Maybe the vin run was wrong ffs. All I know is it's been modified to 'unidentifiable' besides it's def a quad 5.9 mag 4x, two batteries, gas, hahah Gosh it's almost like Christmas maybe finding out what I really have.

Last edited by sixways; 07-19-2024 at 03:20 PM. Reason: ADD PICS
Old 07-19-2024, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Go here, feed it your VIN, all caps please, it's case-sensitive. That will tell you exactly what your truck is, and what it came with from the factory.

The following users liked this post:
sixways (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM
sixways

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Go here, feed it your VIN, all caps please, it's case-sensitive. That will tell you exactly what your truck is, and what it came with from the factory.
HeyYou thanks for that! Up top it says 'Quad Cab', then the Standard Equipment list, then the Optional Equipment. Mine has a ton of the 'optional' but not sure if that OE list means it IS on my truck or not, but matches up. Except it lists some paint color choices one of which is mine (blue were the others). On the OE list it lists 'Sport Group', then 'SLT Decor Group' in that OE list. Could that mean 'chrome' in an SLT line? Truck's got so many of the OE on it but obviously isn't blue, even the skid plate, power everything, leather wrapped steering wheel, 4 speakers, cruise control, heated mirrors etc so I'm kind of more confused now add this cluster to the mix when I try to order parts most places ahahahahahah:

SPORT, SLT and ST all offer a 5.9L V8 engine base options to search for parts, and if chrome trim wasn't an option on a Sport, wth do I really have? Not all dropdowns are like this, some just want you to choose Ram 1500 1/2 Ton 4WD. I can live with that as long as the parts are going to work, especially like headlights. I'm finding this really odd I can't pinpoint a sub model. What Rams typically came with those long chrome trim pieces? Maybe they were just part of an optional 'decor package' offered for all Rams?

Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

From what i am seeing someone put all that stuff on. Bumpers, grill(should be body color), fender flares and the aluminum or stainless on the lower part of the body. The Laramie SLT was the top of the line as far as options go. Some where included in the SLT package. Had nothing to do with "chrome". Mine is a sport and a Laramie SLT. Have a look at your headlights and see if you have the duel or single bulbs in them.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
sixways

Originally Posted by Moparite
From what i am seeing someone put all that stuff on. Bumpers, grill(should be body color), fender flares and the aluminum or stainless on the lower part of the body. The Laramie SLT was the top of the line as far as options go. Some where included in the SLT package. Had nothing to do with "chrome". Mine is a sport and a Laramie SLT. Have a look at your headlights and see if you have the duel or single bulbs in them.
Hey thanks for the reply. Dual bulbs

Hard to see behind the haze but yeah.
Spent hours searching online last night looking for old Ram brochures, the first and only pic I saw with my metal trim sides was on a 1999 Laramie SLT. So the 'SLT decor group' on my option list COULD be the reason why mine's there ahahahahah. Could.
Yeah the bumpers are def aftermarket, flares I knew he put on (have two spares), truck also came with a white grill (off), it doesn't fit because of the bumper. I never looked to see if that was aftermarket or has some original sticker on it. I can't imagine someone putting all that metal on the sides after buying it but who knows.
My main concern at this point is for ordering parts on an ageing high miler and those dang dropdown submodel boxes get me every time. Only option nuggets stood out for me were the Sport group, SLT decor group and the customer preferred package 26G (no amount of searching brought up that code for my year n model), plus 'same body color rear and front bumper' (a nod towards 'Sport').

I apologize for the rabbit hole dive but I live out in the middle of nowhere n gotta order parts online, I'd like to get it right the first time. I can't seem to wrap my head around how Dodge packaged these Rams and how ur supposed to choose a submodel when it seems they could be a mix of just about everything listed. Otherwise, the goodies on this are great. It's got the Firestone air in back for heavy loads, tow package, trans was rebuilt a year or two t before I bought it, 4x serviced/rebuilt with parts and gone over, new timing chain, radiator, water pump, some of the big stuff was already handled so thought it a good gamble for a 199k miler.
I'm fixing to tackle the scoured headlight housings and this is where am gonna need to know wth I got.

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

I got NEW headlight housings from AM-Autoparts.com. They are exact fit, adjustable, and came with bulbs... even though they say they don't. I had sylvania silverstars on hand when they showed up, and used those. There is also a 'heavy duty' headlight harness that is HIGHLY recommended for these trucks. Headlamp switches/connectors are notorious for getting hot and melting... HD harness solves that issue permanently, with a side benefit of better light. The new housings are aftermarket, but, I put a set on my 96 shortly after I bought it, and they still looked brand new 8 years later when I sold it. Did the same for my 98, and they also still look brand new. I like being able to aim my headlights.... Far to many of the aftermarket fellers don't do that trick.

Old Today, 12:48 AM
sixways

Okay, so do you have a Sport? Nice prices on that site but worse than my submodel choices problem, think my head just exploded lol. All but one is 'without sport package' (wtf) and the WS WITH Sport package dual bulb (which looks most like mine?) only offered the driver's side hahaah. Then Whiskey Tango Foxtrot on the years...need a face palm emoji. For the love of God, So I guess I do have a Sport then. With full on chrome metal trim when it's supposed to have zero. No idea what 'WS' means unless they're shortening 'With Sport' and repeating it again written out. I love my Dodge truck but am really starting to hate whoever muddled all these packages/trims whatever the hell together with nothing cohesive and uniform across the industry.

Old Today, 12:59 AM
sixways

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I like being able to aim my headlights.... Far to many of the aftermarket fellers don't do that trick.
I hear you there. I had aftermarkets put on my Vic and asked the shop to aim them. Ridiculously aimed. Then took it to the stealership where my Vic got regular 'Ford Beauty Days' and they aimed them so low I literally was white knuckling having to watch the righthand line on a very poorly lit freeway basically driving blind. Took it back in and bitched and got lectured on 'speeding'. Dude. I was UNDER the speed limit and actually creating a hazard for me and everyone, almost went off the road into a tight curved exit. Told Ford to shove it and adjusted them myself, never ever went back there.

Quick Reply: 1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome