1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2 Durangos / same problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
dbagnew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Durangos / same problem

My wife and I have 2 2003 Durangos. They both have the same problem. Here's problem with my Durango. 2003 SLT 4.7. (Auto). When I accelerate is sounds as if it's revving real high and it seems to move sluggishly. Couple this with the A/C not cooling correctly until I start moving above15-20 mph. I'm not mechanically inclined but I can tell you that the sound made while trying to move in drive is as if I have the car in neutral and step on the gas pedal. My wife's car started having this problem much earlier. She has a 2003 STX 4.7 (Auto).

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this compounded issue.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: 2 Durangos / same problem

welcome to DF... post this question over in the durango forum and see what they have to say. to me it sounds like the tranny is slipping.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First things first, the tranny fluid should be changed if it has been 30k miles since it's last service. Other than that you may just be low on fluid or your torque converter is shot...

Old 09-19-2007, 08:29 PM
dbagnew

I checked the fluid color for the trans and it's pinkish. The oil level is also ok and doesn't smell burnt. I noticed today that the morning drive to work is ok but the evening drive caused the problem to surface every time I stopped and accelerated. I guess changing the transmission fluid would not hurt. Can you offer a ball park figure to it's cost?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go and buy your fluid (ATF+4) and the filter and take it to a shop that will use your fluid and I would say it shouldn't cost more than $45 each.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Is the ck engine lite on?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
dbagnew

Funny you should ask. On the 13th of Sep. I took the car to AutoZone because the check engine light was on. In the past when this occurred, I learned this from my wife's dealings with it, that if I wait to the next gas fillup or take the gas cap off and rock the durango it would go away. We where told this at the dealer in Miami, FL. This time the light would not go out so the folks at AutoZone hooked a device that displayed code P0440. It listed several reasons for the cause. I asked the AutoZone employee if these reasons where a cause for concern and he said no. 2 days later the check engine light went a way and now that I think about it that's when the problem started.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as your A/C goes, you may need to check if you have a Electric fan assist on your D. If so, check to make sure it is running while your A/C is on. If you do not have a electric fan assist, check your fan clutch. Try spinning it with your hand when the engine is not running. If it spins freely, your clutch is bad. Otherwise, the fan should not more than 1/4 to 1/2 a turn when you try to spin it by hand.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
dbagnew

I've opened the hood and see the following: (from front to back) 1) The grill where the A/C refrigerant goes, 2) the radiator, 3) a small fan (this is against the radiator) and 4) a bigger fan connected to the engine. Is the one in item 3) what you refer to as "Electric fan assist" or is the the "fan clutch"?

Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dbagnew

I've opened the hood and see the following: (from front to back) 1) The grill where the A/C refrigerant goes, 2) the radiator, 3) a small fan (this is against the radiator) and 4) a bigger fan connected to the engine. Is the one in item 3) what you refer to as "Electric fan assist" or is the the "fan clutch"?

Thanks
3. Electric fan assist
4. Fan clutch

Also, check to make sure the A/C condenser coil (Coil in front of main radiator) is not clogged, if you see debris stuck inside, go to a carwash and use the high pressure spray to clean out the A/C condenser.

Quick Reply: 2 Durangos / same problem