1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thinking motor swap or selling :/

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Turner661
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking motor swap or selling :/

hey guys. im kinda stumped

im curious too know what id have to do to convert to fuel injected. i love carb and all but off roading and changing altitudes is annyoing with a carb. i was curious to know if anyone just randomly dumped a 360 or a hemi into there trucks and what they would need.

i have a 400 big block with a bunch of stuff and it needs a llittle work (cracked head i think)or else i would look into the msd fuel injection set up. but i also feel like my tranny is going aswell in first gear if i pin it after sertain rpm is will jerrk and **** i dunno what to do.

or i was thinking of selling and getting a cherokee or a jeep or 2nd gen ram

Old 09-26-2014, 10:25 AM
emnestor
Professional
Default Fuel injection

I just finished a total rebuild and kind of wish I had gone to fuel injection. I know there are several kits out there and they are super simple to install and dial in.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 PM
zcg4755
Professional

I'm actually working on a Hemi swap right now. I'll have to give you the details as things progress. As of right now I'm working with a 5.7L from an '06 Durango; the A518 bolts right up. The fuel injection system is a Holley HP EFI system. Currently, the motor is being cleaned up (heads and oil pan taken off to make sure everything is good to go). Next stop is paint (Hemi Orange).

I decided to have a couple other goodies added on like COMP cams and a new posi rear. Total, the cost is looking something like 8k.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 AM
emnestor
Professional

Originally Posted by zcg4755
I'm actually working on a Hemi swap right now. I'll have to give you the details as things progress. As of right now I'm working with a 5.7L from an '06 Durango; the A518 bolts right up. The fuel injection system is a Holley HP EFI system. Currently, the motor is being cleaned up (heads and oil pan taken off to make sure everything is good to go). Next stop is paint (Hemi Orange).

I decided to have a couple other goodies added on like COMP cams and a new posi rear. Total, the cost is looking something like 8k.
Nice. keep us posted on the progress

Old 10-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a thread around here somewhere where I converted my '78 to fuel injection. Been running it that way for about a year now. Best mod Ive ever done. Ill see if I can find a link to it.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...a-1st-gen.html Maybe that will work? If not, try searching, "2nd gen efi in a 1st gen"

Old 10-18-2014, 11:08 AM
beakerztoyz
Professional

Originally Posted by zcg4755

Ya totally keep us posted, have you started a thread on your swap? if i ever have to put a new motor in my truck i definitly want to swap in a hemi out of a newer truck.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
Ya totally keep us posted, have you started a thread on your swap? if i ever have to put a new motor in my truck i definitly want to swap in a hemi out of a newer truck.
Haha. I was trying to keep it on the DL, but I guess the cat is out of the bag now. I'd love to give you all an update, but I don't even know what's going on. I've tried contacting my mechanic, but he's not getting back to me. I know the motor is ready for paint now, but I have yet to see the thing. I'm getting impatient! I'll make sure to start a thread once I have all the details.

Quick Reply: thinking motor swap or selling :/