2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 AM
Cody Wilmoth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good idea or not?

hey all. i've been thinking the past few weeks of running rotella 15w-40 in my truck for the summer months. Currently run Havoline 10-30 and change it around 3000 miles like clock work... I work at Oreillys so i use wix filters except for the k&n air filter i got for it. what are y'alls thoughts about this?
Also i just put a tune up on it using accel ignition coil, dist cap, and rotor button. with ultima wires and champion dbl platinum spark plugs. truck runs great. think that set up will be alright?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I think the Rotella oil will be a tad heavy.

Our trucks are real hit and miss on whether they like the platinum plugs or not. If they work for you, go right ahead and use 'em.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I used to run 15w40 Chevron Delo diesel oil in the summers in southern WA where it gets 100 plus easy. It was also a good cleaning oil. Recommended by a shop. What I didn't like was the noisy valve train. Could really hear everything clicking away when cold. After warmup, it was fine. Never had any issues and there have been members here who run Shell Rotella or Delo year round.

My truck has never liked the thin 10w30 oil as it liked to drink it. Maybe I've had a bad ring for the past 17 years and 197k but it would drink 10w30. Made me worry so much I had the plenum fixed with a Hughes kit at like 80k miles. It wasn't blown.

About 6 years ago, I made a compromise and switched to 10w40 but in Valvoline maxlife. Love it! Quieted down the valvetrain and a noisy lifter. It now consistently uses two quarts over the life span of the oil (I add 1 qt over a few months time). When the oil gets to 'add' and is pretty dark, I change it. No need to log or pay too close attention. Love the stuff. Well worth it. Once in a while when real cold, I'll throw in 10w30 again but just pouring it in looks like water and with any engine over 100k, it's good to use thicker oil. That's just common sense.

Oh, and use only copper plugs. Champions run best (oem).

Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stretch your oil changes to 5,000 miles. 3,000 miles is an outdated myth.

I'm curious how your truck is "running great" with double platinum plugs as the Magnum Engines run best with copper core.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:32 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Stretch your oil changes to 5,000 miles. 3,000 miles is an outdated myth.

I'm curious how your truck is "running great" with double platinum plugs as the Magnum Engines run best with copper core.
Because everything you read on the interwebs is true...

Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Mine runs really great on NGK Laser Iridiums gapped at .059".

Never mind that it's because the coil's making almost double the stock secondary voltage that I get away with it. The engine loves those expensivum plugs.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Mine runs really great on NGK Laser Iridiums gapped at .059".

Never mind that it's because the coil's making almost double the stock secondary voltage that I get away with it. The engine loves those expensivum plugs.

What's your setup again?

Old 04-17-2016, 02:07 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
What's your setup again?
DUI Screamin' Demon coil, Live Wires, NGK IZFR6K13 plugs. I did it only to overcome the tendency to misfire at high altitude and low RPM, but with the nice side effect of going 100,000 miles between plug changes.

The folks at Performance Distributors recommended just over-gapping the 3923's but I'm just not an over-gap kind of guy so I spec'd out a plug designed for the monster gap. I was aiming for .060", but the closest I could get was the .059" which is at the outer edge of the design limit for that one. At 25,000 miles they looked great and there was dead zero measurable gap erosion on all eight. I only drive about 5,000 miles per year so it'll be a while yet before I get the long term view, but so far it's looking like a good combination.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Also i just put a tune up on it using accel ignition coil,
You may want to carry a spare coil, I had the accel coil in mine and it left me stranded after about two years of use! Junk in my opinion! I put the stock one back in and also carry a back up just in case. Can't go wrong with autolites!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
You may want to carry a spare coil, I had the accel coil in mine and it left me stranded after about two years of use! Junk in my opinion! I put the stock one back in and also carry a back up just in case. Can't go wrong with autolites!
That depends if he's running a tune. I tried Autolites in my 5.2L and it ran like a dog, plus it threw a misfire on #5. I reinstalled the stock Champions and it ran smooth again.

Quick Reply: Good idea or not?