2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck dies when put in gear, idles fine in park and Neutral.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM
TRRDK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck dies when put in gear, idles fine in park and Neutral.

Well I have tried to research this before posting but I can't seem to find the same problem I have already posted. I have a 2000 5.9L 1500 extended cab and the weirdest thing is happening. The truck will idle perfect as long as I don't put the truck in reverse or drive. I can put it in neutral and it will run all day as well. As a matter of fact I ran it in neutral while a friend helped me tow it home. I noticed when I went to stop at the red light it studdered and then died. I am at a loss, there are not any codes displayed either with the OBD II reader nor with the on-off-on-off-on method. I had the Torque Converter replaced a couple of months ago and noticed a vacuum leak after AAMCO worked on it. Can a vacuum leak cause this? Any help is greatly appreciated, I have had some great reference material from this site to fix past problems.....

Old 06-22-2008, 03:35 PM
timsalas
Veteran
Default RE: Truck dies when put in gear, idles fine in park and Neutral.

sounds like yet torque converter is having issues, take it back to aamco it should still be under warranty yes?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:41 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

+2 on locked up converter

Old 06-22-2008, 04:10 PM
TRRDK

I'll have it towed there hopefully next week. I was hoping it was something easier but it does make a lot of sense. Thanks for the replies, everyone here is great!!! I'll post again and keep everyone informed.....

Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 PM
ltbordo

just fixed the EXACT problem on my diesel ram 3500 dueley. What are you idling at in park/neutral? I'll bet you're near the 250-500rpm range. You need to be around 800 in park/idle and 525 in drive with the A/C on. There are 2 idle screw on your injector pump near the BACK of the pump, the high speed idle is factory set and you don't need to mess with it. The LOW idle stop bolt is a accessed from the top and a locking nut accessed from the bottom (both hard to get to unfortunately) Loosen the locking nut from the bottom (10 mm socket with a long extension) till it is just barely on the bottom threads of the adjusting bolt. Then (with a helper holding down the pedal to give you room to get to it) loosen i.e. turn COUNTER clockwise from the top to RAISE the adjusting bolt a couple of turns with a 10 mm open end wrench. start truck, check idle.....repeat until truck idles at about 800 rpm in park/idle. Remember to tighten the locking nut when finished while holding the adjusting bolt in place with your wrench. (pretty much a 3 man job!)

Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 AM
TRRDK

Sorry it has been a while since I updated my problem. AAMCO told me the T/Q came apart and that was the problem. It was replaced under the warranty so I amgood now. Amazingly enough my vacuum leak that developed after the first time they worked on it is fixed now as well!! Anyway thanks to everyone who replied with helpful information!!! I look forward to possibly helping someone out the way I have been helped here some day..

Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM
patrick 1988 dodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by TRRDK
Sorry it has been a while since I updated my problem. AAMCO told me the T/Q came apart and that was the problem. It was replaced under the warranty so I amgood now. Amazingly enough my vacuum leak that developed after the first time they worked on it is fixed now as well!! Anyway thanks to everyone who replied with helpful information!!! I look forward to possibly helping someone out the way I have been helped here some day..
what do T/Q mean

Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I am thinkin' torque converter.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am thinkin' torque converter.

Usually referred to as TC.....

Old 07-15-2014, 04:21 PM
nick0584
Default I have the same issues just wanted to know if yours went away when engine warmed up

Originally Posted by TRRDK
I have the same issuewanted to know if yours went away when engine was warmed up

Quick Reply: Truck dies when put in gear, idles fine in park and Neutral.