2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Added 6 Quarts Transmission Fluid after change

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM
tharry8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Added 6 Quarts Transmission Fluid after change

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, 5.2 Liter, 46RE transmission, 130,000 miles.
This weekend I replaced my radiator (had a leak) and then changed my transmission fluid and filter. I did this because I noticed the transmission fluid was brown (did not smell) when I disconnected the transmission lines at the radiator.

To change the fluid, I jacked up the front end, and let the fluid drain out for a long time (it kept dripping). I debated putting a drain plug on the pan, but did not.

Truck had been running fine, shifting great, etc. No indication of any problems.

My truck is running cooler than it used to. While replacing the radiator I decided to also replace the thermostat, hoses, and water pump. The temperature gauge is well to the left of the 210 mark. The new thermostat is 192F and old was 195F, don't think that would make this much difference.

I have added 6 quarts of ATF +4 synthetic fluid, and the level on dipstick is still not to the minimum level yet (it is on dipstick). I checked it this morning after driving 25 miles on the interstate. With the engine running, I engaged the parking brake, and moved the lever through the different settings (R, D, etc) and left it in neutral. Fluid is showing on dipstick, just above the hole, but not to minimum level.

I noticed that the fluid on the dipstick is not hot, only warm (guessing 100F?). That is after 25 miles on interstate. It is about 75F outside.

When I changed the fluid I do not know how much drained, since I dumped the pan on the ground by accident while trying to lower it. And, I had not checked the dipstick either.

The coolant looks fine (does not appear to be contaminated with transmission fluid).

I originally used 3.5 quarts of transmission fluid and then drove the truck. Within about 1/2 mile, felt the transmission slipping, so I stopped and added the remaining 1/2 quart. There was no fluid on dipstick before adding the 1/2 quart). I drove to the parts store and bought another quart. Drove some more, checked level and added the quart (that brings total to 5). Drove 20 miles or so last night, and stopped at parts store and bought another quart. I added it last night (brings total to 6 quarts).

Fluid was last changed at about 90,000 miles, 4 years ago. I know it is too long to wait.

Recommendations on what I should do?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:53 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

about 6-7 quarts to refill a 46RE is normal. it have a very deep pan.
check fluid with engine running, in neutral, and bring the lowest level on the stick up to full. the sharp angle of the dipstick can make one side read a good bit higher than the other.

you should have added a drain plug. you'll regret it next time you change it.

what to do -
make sure fluid is full.
next time - add a drain plug and buy enough fluid the first time.
in the future - don't drive truck with low trans fluid. you might damage the trans and they are very expensive.
buy a haynes manual.
download the 01 service manual here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-gen-rams.html

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

You are doing it right. Top off the fluid, and call it a day. Since you didn't check the fluid before you drained it, it may have been low to begin with. Keep in mind, I believe it is only a PINT between add, and full, on the dipstick. Overfiled is just as bad as low fluid.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
dodgeman52
Captain

my truck took 6 1/2 quarts when i did mine

Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
tharry8

Thanks all. I have the Dodge manual and the Haynes. They both said 4.0qt was normal for fluid and filter change.

What about the temperature of the fluid? I know it is supposed to be around 180F when it is checked, but mine was cooler than that (even after 25 miles). The hotter it is, the more the fluid expands.

dhvaughan - I have same manual that you posted. It says:
Service Fill - 46RE 3.8 L (4.0 qts.) (on page 0-6)
(1) Transmission fluid must be at normal operating
temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive
vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to
normal hot operating temperature of 82°C (180°F). (page 21-546)

I've added 6 qts when it says i should add 4qts, and I cannot get the temp up to 180F.

I am concerned about overfilling the transmission.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

you're right, both books are wrong. 6 quarts is normal for the 46RE. i think the printing of 4 might be a holdover from the old 46RH which i think? not sure? had a shallower pan. or maybe its a drain/fill without dropping the filter. either way, its just wrong.

trans temp of 180 would be in the business side of the trans and the hot/pressure side of the trans. after it goes through your cooler it'll be significantly cooled. it sounds like your cooler is working good. you might could register the hot temperature by using a scanner, or installing a temp gauge in the hot side.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
tharry8

Thanks dhvaughan! I will go with adding a little more. Just wanted to make sure I didn't mess things up. I believe a 1/2 qt should be about right.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
tharry8

Update - I ended up adding a total of 7 qts. The dipstick shows max, after driving ~50 miles. The temperature never did increase to 180F as described in service manual. I am guessing it only got to 100F. Interstingly, the transmission hoses to and from the radiator were hot to the touch (well above 100F). Something doesnt seem right.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i wouldn't worry about it. just be glad nothing burnt up when you drove it low on fluid.

if you want to keep exploring the temperature, follow the return line all the way to the trans. you'll probably find that it continues to cool as it goes. you could get a temp gun and get very detailed.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took 12 quarts for me. But that was because I had it jacked up and let it drain for 5 days....reason being was because i messed up and put the drain plug on the wrong side of the pan and I had clearance issues. So I had to wait for the derale deep pan to come in.

So I basically dripped my tranny dry. ANd the pan was +2 quarts. I probably only had some in the radiator.

The only reason they say 4 is because it is done so fast at the shop. Less time to drip dry.

Quick Reply: Added 6 Quarts Transmission Fluid after change