2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'99 Ram 1500 Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:33 PM
slowtruck99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Ram 1500 Brake Upgrade

Is there a disk brake upgrade available for the front of a '99 Ram 1500 4X4 Club? And maybe a disk brake conversion for the rear? What are the general thoughts on slotted rotors? Maybe that's an option.

We have had this truck for a while and the brakes have always been... well terrible to say the least. They jsut don't stop the truck, as if they're not big enough or there is fade. You can push the pedal all the way to the floor and it still takes a long distance to stop. And panic stops, well they just don't happen, like I said you press the pedal but it keeps on rollin'.
Thanks in advance fomr a frustrated Dodge owner.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I think you need to take a look at your brake system, and figger out what's wrong first..... with the truck unloaded, you should be able to fairly easily lock all four wheels. (anti-lock aside.....)

I don't think slotted/drilled rotors are really worth the additional expense. They had their day when brake pads would outgas fairly seriously back in the day, but, with todays brake compounds, it isn't nearly as much of an issue.

When was the last time you had any brake work done? Can you do your own work?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:04 PM
slowtruck99

When was the last time you had any brake work done? Can you do your own work?[/QUOTE]

I replaced all the brake components about four years ago, new everything minus brake booster, abs pump, lines and master cylinder. It has always stopped very sluggish. I've talked to a few other Dodge owners that say the same thing.

Yea, I should be able to do the work myself.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me more like a hydraulic issue. Does your master cylinder leak? Many shops offer free brake inspections. It may be something major, but unless you hear squealing i doubt it. It may need nothing more then a good bleed, or fluid flush. Either way a free inspection is free, just make sure you go somewhere that is honest

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Think I would try a GOOD set of high quality pads, and a rotor resurface first...... and make sure the rears are adjusted up nice.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
silverlakexj
Rookie

I would like to know about a rear disk conversion as well. My wife's jeep had issues like you are describing when we bought it. I bleed the brakes at all 4 corners and it helped a ton.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
slowtruck99

Thanks for all the input, I'll bleed all four first and then have the brakes inspected, it's free. I agree with the hydrolic idea. ain thanks\I'll have to check the master cylinder. A flush maybe. It stops ok, it just stops sluggish. Like the Jeep coment...
Again, thanks...I'll keep you posted

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Good luck man

Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would try a GOOD set of high quality pads, and a rotor resurface first...... and make sure the rears are adjusted up nice.
All you gotta do to adjust the rear brakes in these trucks is back up and come to a complete stop using the brakes. Auto adjusting rears right?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Mater

Should be auto adjusting but just because it does, doesn't mean they work. ALOT of times they don't.

Quick Reply: '99 Ram 1500 Brake Upgrade