2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Cam bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cam bearing

So as im prepping (cleaning and detailing) the block for the new heads and cam ive noticed that bearing number 4 (front to back) is shot! I have already ordered new bearings along with the installation tool but im starting to wonder if its even possible to replace all 5 bearings without pulling out the block??? I thought I read in some forum that you can but im not 100% sure

Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM
slapshift318
Rookie

Yeah, its a tight area, but you can drop the pan and get view of it all. but like i said, close area to work in.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

In order to pull the cam bearings, you have to pull the plug out of the back of the cam bore. Engine needs to come out.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM
sinus19
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In order to pull the cam bearings, you have to pull the plug out of the back of the cam bore. Engine needs to come out.
I would but i dont have the time nor the resources to do it. I'm working on it outside in my college apartment's parking lot and im just hoping that they dont see my project or they will ask me to removing it from the lot . If i were to pull of the block than i might as well get it resurfaced, cleaned and machined out but than again i dont have the $Benjies$ to do it, I'm already waaay over my spending limit on this project... I know that the furthest one to the back is impossible to remove without having to take out the plug. sooo can i still just replace the other bearings without pulling out the block?

Last edited by sinus19; 02-28-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

You can prolly do the rest without pulling the engine, so long as you have the clearance to get the tool in from the front.......

Old 02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
sinus19
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can prolly do the rest without pulling the engine, so long as you have the clearance to get the tool in from the front.......
Ok cool... yea i hope tool will fit... i think the front bearing is the biggest, than gets small as it gets the rear?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sinus19
Ok cool... yea i hope tool will fit... i think the front bearing is the biggest, than gets small as it gets the rear?
Correct on the sizes.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM
sinus19
Veteran

Originally Posted by charlie1935
Correct on the sizes.
Then theoretically, the tool should fit and.. hmm we'll see once i get the bearing and tool..Thanks guys!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You should be able to get the #4 out and a new one in without pulling the block. You may very well need to remove the radiator though, and possibly even remove the AC condenser. You must pull the block to remove all the bearings from the block as the front one requires removing the Welch plug in the back to pound it out from the back. The lip that holds it in place makes it impossible to drive out from the front.

When you get that tool, it should have an extension with it. You can use that extension to get to the #4 bearing if the longer part won't fit. Put a deep well socket over the threaded rod and a socket extension in the deep well socket and bang on that to get the proper length to reach the #4 bearing. Stuff a bunch of rags in the block to catch the bearing when it comes out do you don't have to fish out the old bearing from the oil pan, or drop the pan to remove it.

Be darn sure to line up the oiling hole in the new bearing with the oil passage in the block. I believe it's at the bottom of the bearing's mating surface (6 o'clock position), but BE SURE. Might even want to snake a wire down that oil passage just to make sure it isn't blocked by the shavings of the old cam bearing you are relpacing.

I did a thread with a cam swap over at bionicdodge.com with an explanation of what I did with the cam tool, I'll try to find it and post it here.

Ah, here it is: http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...topic=10232.15

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 03-01-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
sinus19
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
You should be able to get the #4 out and a new one in without pulling the block. You may very well need to remove the radiator though, and possibly even remove the AC condenser. You must pull the block to remove all the bearings from the block as the front one requires removing the Welch plug in the back to pound it out from the back. The lip that holds it in place makes it impossible to drive out from the front.

When you get that tool, it should have an extension with it. You can use that extension to get to the #4 bearing if the longer part won't fit. Put a deep well socket over the threaded rod and a socket extension in the deep well socket and bang on that to get the proper length to reach the #4 bearing. Stuff a bunch of rags in the block to catch the bearing when it comes out do you don't have to fish out the old bearing from the oil pan, or drop the pan to remove it.

Be darn sure to line up the oiling hole in the new bearing with the oil passage in the block. I believe it's at the bottom of the bearing's mating surface (6 o'clock position), but BE SURE. Might even want to snake a wire down that oil passage just to make sure it isn't blocked by the shavings of the old cam bearing you are relpacing.
I did a thread with a cam swap over at bionicdodge.com with an explanation of what I did with the cam tool, I'll try to find it and post it here.

Ah, here it is: http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...topic=10232.15
Thanks so much for the info! I got the new bearings and tool today. I did get all 4 bearing out with no problem. The bearing stayed on the tool and i was able to just grab it with my hand and take it out through the top. Here is a pic of bearing number 4 and his buddy up front.

Name:  2012-03-01141949.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  97.0 KB
Name:  2012-03-01142101.jpg
Views: 2188
Size:  90.7 KB

Here is little Sneak peak of thee project...
Name:  2012-02-28221142.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  85.0 KB

Last edited by sinus19; 03-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Cam bearing