2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifter Noise at Startup.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Moparman59
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Noise at Startup.

The last 4 or 5 days i had been getting some lifter noise when truck had sat overnight. I found this weird because I have parked it up to 2 weeks with no noise on start-up. So of course I start to worry..do I have some lifters packing it in?...Is the oil pump going? etc.
I changed the oil and filter and noticed the oil filter was only half full. Problem solved..the anti-drainback valve was blown. Started the truck this morning it was back to it's normal no noise start. Just thought I would pass this along in case some of you are also getting some lifter noise at start which might be the same problem.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a exhaust leak , have you checked for a leak . Kinda sounds like a lifter

Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 PM
etdavenport
Professional

I have a similar thing going on. A noise that sounds like dry lifters for about 2 seconds on first startup. does it on warm starts now and then also after coming out of the store etc. I noticed I had a lifter not quite oiling right on the front most cylinder passenger side last time i opened it up to do the plenum and pump but oil was getting through, jsut looked a bit clogged.

I was thinking its just not getting oil to the top end right away [kinda like the ford motors that have a mechanical pump that lifts oil to the head that can go bad] but I do not think the dodge has something similar.

Could this just be a dry lifter/rocker not oiling right? or do i have larger problems? My valve train has been making noise on and off on that side, but this is louder than anything I have heard before. Im going to flush it with seafoam and put a run of full synthetic in it first to see if that helps

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also use a stethascope to see if I could determine exactly where the noise is coming from.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM
crackajack92
Amateur

my 96 2500 does the same thing. my dad has a 2012 dodge ram 2500 hemi and his does the same thing i believe its a dodge thing every gasser ive heard start has always had that noise for like 1 or 2 seconds.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crackajack92
my 96 2500 does the same thing. my dad has a 2012 dodge ram 2500 hemi and his does the same thing i believe its a dodge thing every gasser ive heard start has always had that noise for like 1 or 2 seconds.

thats what lucas is for.

Old 01-09-2022, 08:49 AM
Sullibran
Default 2003 dodge neon loud noise at startip

Very loud knocking noise passenger side on start up for like 30 sec. Slow to accelerate. Car was overheating so changed thermostat did spark plugs and wires a week before

Old 01-09-2022, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Sullibran
Very loud knocking noise passenger side on start up for like 30 sec. Slow to accelerate. Car was overheating so changed thermostat did spark plugs and wires a week before
This section is for dodge trucks. You need to post in the correct section.

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise at Startup.