2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pads worn into rotor. How to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads worn into rotor. How to remove?

A couple years ago, I thought it would be cool to buy some slotted rotors from JC Whitney. Then, when I tried to do a brake pad replacement about a year after that, nobody would turn the rotors, because they were slotted. At that time, I just put on a new pair of pads, and went with it. This time around, I tried to change the pads, but they have worn a pretty deep groove into the rotor, making it impossible for them to just slide off. I am thinking I will have to drain the brake fluid, to release the tension. Is that about right? I don't see any other way of releasing the tension. I have a C-Clamp, but I usually use that after the fact, to compress it for reinstall.

I am also thinking I should go ahead and order some new, non-slotted rotors, so that I can have them turned in the future. Is JC Whitney a good place to get those?

Thanks!!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:21 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can usually use a thick screwdriver or something solid to wiggle the rotor back and forth opening up the caliper's.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

Alright, I'll try that. If the rotor is trash and the pads, then I won't have to worry about damaging it up. I can just get a screwdriver between those two and pry it apart.

I did a price comparison, and the rotors from JC Whitney and O'Reillys are the same, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:31 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by cosmorphis
Alright, I'll try that. If the rotor is trash and the pads, then I won't have to worry about damaging it up. I can just get a screwdriver between those two and pry it apart.

I did a price comparison, and the rotors from JC Whitney and O'Reillys are the same, so I guess it doesn't matter.
I would put the screwdriver or whatever you use in the notches or whatever they're called on the rotor rather then itself, see pic below:

Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
gdstock
Legend

I suspect that the caliper pins are corroded and causing it to bind. May need to hit it with chemicals. Then, clean them off and polish with emory cloth. Lube them before reinatallation. If these cannot move freely, it will causde pads to stay engaged on rotor ....... causing excessive wear.....

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
cosmorphis
Amateur

I would put the screwdriver or whatever you use in the notches or whatever they're called on the rotor rather then itself, see pic below:
Yes, that makes more sense. I got eager, and went to O'Reillys and bought a pair of new rotors. I went outside, and did the driver side first, and it was really easy. I then went to do the passenger side, and for some reason, that one was really difficult. It took me about 10-15 minutes just to get it off. That was the side I tried at first, before I posted this thread.

I suspect that the caliper pins are corroded and causing it to bind. May need to hit it with chemicals. Then, clean them off and polish with emory cloth. Lube them before reinatallation. If these cannot move freely, it will causde pads to stay engaged on rotor ....... causing excessive wear.....
Well I already have everything back on. Do you mean the two bolts that hold the caliper on? I have some "Hi-Temp Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Grease". Would I just apply it directly on the bolt/pin? Everything is back together now, but I suppose I could take it apart again, and apply it. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by cosmorphis
....Well I already have everything back on. Do you mean the two bolts that hold the caliper on? I have some "Hi-Temp Disc Brake Wheel Bearing Grease". Would I just apply it directly on the bolt/pin? Everything is back together now, but I suppose I could take it apart again, and apply it. Thanks!

That should work. You can easily pull one bolt at a time and grease and reinstall. That way nothing should move and you don't have to take it all apart. It is important for proper brake operation that the caliper can "float" on these bolts.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Do the calipers slide on the bolts, or, do the bolts just hold the sleeve the calipers slide on in place? You need to lube the parts that move.... or, allow movement. If the bolt just holds the guides in place, lubing the bolt won't help.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:33 PM
gdstock
Legend

I don't remember a sleeve on mine, but I could be mistaken. But you are correct....the part that moves is the part to grease....

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM
billcart
Professional

I use silicone and I put it on the bolt and the sleeve (NOT THE THREADS) and work them in and out prior to install. Torque them to specs. I do the same for chevys that have the similar design. You will notice how much better your alignment is now that a caliper is not sticking and the grease will not make its way to the rotors to cause squeaking/brake pulsating later on. FWIW...

Quick Reply: Brake pads worn into rotor. How to remove?