2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mounting grill to truck insteed of hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 PM
phelsel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting grill to truck insteed of hood

i was wondering if anyone has ever made modifications to how the grill mounts to the truck, i bought a new bumper and the grill gard will prevent the hood from opening so i have to come up with a way to mount it to the truck insteed of the hood, any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated
thanks

Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post pics? The problem that I see will be getting the hood to close behind the grill without smacking it. being plastic, it will shatter!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
Can you post pics? The problem that I see will be getting the hood to close behind the grill without smacking it. being plastic, it will shatter!

It's already hard enough to lean over and work on these trucks...fixing the grill in it's position will make that even harder.

If it were me, I would modify either the grill guard or how it mounts. I agree, post pics. Typically if it was made for your gen Ram you should have no interference unless something is wrong with the way you've mounted it.

I say leave the grill the way it is, and look into how to change the grill guard first.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
stewie01
Legend

If you want a Ford, go buy a Ford..... Or a Chevy.... They both have the grille separate from the hood.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
phelsel

I wanted it that way they look gay with thar grill gaurd sticking a foot out in front, and its you tall to lean over and work on anyway

Old 07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
phelsel

*too tall

Old 07-02-2012, 10:19 AM
99ram360sport
Professional

im with gdstock on this one,i just do not see a way for the hood to close behind the grill without hitting it.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phelsel
I wanted it that way they look gay with thar grill gaurd sticking a foot out in front, and its you tall to lean over and work on anyway
Grill guards look gay anyway.

If it's so close to the truck that the grill hits it, it's too close, no matter where the grill is mounted. The second anything its it and it flexes at all or bends, it will damage your grill and hood. Kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Better alternative would be to move the bumper/grille-guard out some, so the grille will clear....

Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Found this on another forum:

I decided I would giveyou guys your own "How To" instead of having to follow a link to another site on how to make your grill seperate from your hood.

How To Make Your GrillSeperate From Your Hood

Before you remove anything and with the hood closed and latched, use a piece of tape to mark it on the fenders for up and down and side to side location of the grill.

The first thing you do is remove the grill from the grill brace and then remove the brace from the hood. Once the grill is removed, you have to remove the studs that holds the grillto thehood by simply unscrewing them. There are 3 hollow plastic line-up pins that you will have to cut off or simply grab them with pliers and give them a twist.

The grill has to be supported on the bottom. This is the part that took me so long to figure out. I used a small eye-bolt from one end of a 3/16" turn buckle. Drill a 1/4" hole in the inside veritical flat piece of the front bumper brace (the one with the 2 bolts that the bumper fastens to) approximately 1/2" down from the top and 1" from the top back edge of the bumper. It's a little tight so start with a small drill bit for a lead hole and then drill with the 1/4" bit. Use 1/4" x 1" bolt through the eye bolt and sandwich it between two 1/4" flat washersand then a 1/4" nut againstthelast washer. Stickthebolt in thedrilled 1/4" hole on thebumperbraceand usea nylon lock nut to fasten it. You will haveto do someadjusting on the insidenut soit's not to tight against eye bolt. The eye bolt needs to swivel freely but not wobble side to side. After the eye bolt is fastened to the brace rotate the eye bolt toward the front so the bottom of the grill will rest on the bolt. Center up the grill and mark the center of the eye bolt on the front bottom edge of the grill. Another piece of tape will work good for marking.Transfer your mark to the bottom of the flat surface of the grill and make another mark about 3/4" from the back edge of the grill and drill a hole for the eye bolt. You will need2 nuts on each eye bolt, 1 for the grill to rest on and the other to secure it to the bottom of the grill. If you need to, you can raise or lower the grill using these nuts.

I used two 5/16" x 2" springsand 2 small cotter keys for the top. On the insideof the fender and above theheadlight,you will seea thin flat piece of metal that lays horizonal. Now this is a bitch, but you will need to drill a small hole about 1/2" from the outside edge and just behind the small offset in the flat piece of metal. If you have access to a 90 deg drill it won't be so bad but just a regular hand drill is a REAL BITCH but take your time and it will happen. Drill a small hole in the corner of the top edge of the upper opening of the grill about 1/4" in from the back edge. Attach one end of the spring in this small hole and the other to the eye of the cotter pin. Once the spring is attached to the grill stick the cotter pin through the small hole you drilled in the flat piece of metal and spread it open to lock it in. This should hold the grill back against the rubber on the headlights but still be loose enough tilt the grill out at the top.

Leave the safety latch on thehood. When you want to open the hood, simply unlatch it from inside the cab, put your fingers between the grill and hood and gentley tilt the grill forward. With one hand reach under the front lip of the hood and pick it up a little bit and with the other hand reach in and release the safty latch then open your hood.

When closing the hood, be sure to tilt the grill out before the hood is all the way down. Once it is latchedon thesafety latch,closeitcompletely. The springs allows you the room to get to the safetly latch and also keeps the grill pulled back against the hood.

Everyone enjoy!!

Quick Reply: mounting grill to truck insteed of hood