2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sputtering between first and second gear, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:42 PM
flyers27
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering between first and second gear, please help

Hello all, I am new to this site and also a fairly new Ram owner. I have a 2001 Ram 2500 Larime SLT 4x4, and according to the build sheet it has the HD and towing package with 4:10 gears.

Ive only owned it for a couple months and put on a couple hundred miles (not my daily driver). Today i changed the muffler and took her out for a spin. It was the first time i really romped it and was not pleased with what transpired.

When starting from a complete stop and putting the gas to the floor, when the truck attempts to shift from first to second gear, it sputters as if you were hitting the rev limiter on a car. The sputtering doesnt stop until the gas is let off and then the truck will then shift into gear. Under normal acceleration, the truck shifts fine. On the highway, it downshifts and accelerates great. Around town it shifts well, only if you dont hammer it from a stop.

Please tell me some good news and not that my transmission is going. Thanks for any input and hopefully there is a simple remedy for this...

Also, I forgot to add that the truck only has 100,000 miles on it.
I checked the transmission fluid level and its spot on. Its also clean as can be and doesnt smell burnt in any way.

Last edited by flyers27; 03-31-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Normal. The dodge transmissions are notorious for that kind of behavior. Pressure sensor just can't handle the load.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:53 PM
flyers27
Amateur

Thanks for the response. So its normal for the truck to not shift into second gear under a load? Or does the pressure sensor and solenoid need to be changed?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might try this upgrade and see if any change...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION-GOVERNOR-SOLENOID-SENSOR-TRANSDUCER-KIT-00-DODGE-46RE-47RE-48RE-/230798068630?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bca30b96&vxp=mtr

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
flyers27
Amateur

Originally Posted by CSDavies26

yes, i was going to replace the both of them and see what happens...

Was testing the waters to see if anyone else had this issue and what they did to fix it.

I was going to use oem, but now that you mention the link, i may try the upgraded piece.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

I did some searching on these parts, and found that its a common problem for these OEM parts to go bad. So I went a head and ordered these upgraded parts. With my truck having 167000 miles on it, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade before the stock parts fail.

Last edited by Ram Driver; 04-02-2014 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 AM
flyers27
Amateur

My truck only has 100,000 miles on it and the parts just failed. In my opinion, the oem parts lasted pretty long... Do those upgraded parts really add any extra protection or performance? I havent replaced mine yet and im not really sure if they will fix my problem, but after a lot of research it seems like the solenoid sensor and transducer are the culprits...

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

The upgraded pressure solenoid is meant to address the problem you're having at wide open throttle...there's also a gm solenoid conversion kit floating around out there...same concept tho just a couple extra bolts and a mounting plate. I'm going to do this upgrade as a precautionary measure next time my pan is off along with putting on a deeper pan with a drain plug.

Like I said, this upgrade is worth a shot in my opinion and it certainly won't hurt anything...it's better than swapping a tranny!

Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
flyers27
Amateur

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
The upgraded pressure solenoid is meant to address the problem you're having at wide open throttle...there's also a gm solenoid conversion kit floating around out there...same concept tho just a couple extra bolts and a mounting plate. I'm going to do this upgrade as a precautionary measure next time my pan is off along with putting on a deeper pan with a drain plug.

Like I said, this upgrade is worth a shot in my opinion and it certainly won't hurt anything...it's better than swapping a tranny!
yep, guess your right. Found a trans shop that is gonna diagnose it for free today with the computer. Im gonna ask him if he is familiar wth the upgraded solenoid.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:03 PM
flyers27
Amateur

update: Trans guy took it for a ride today. He experienced the same issues that i experienced. He told me that the truck would sputter between first and second at full throttle because that trans wasnt shifting and the rpm rev limiter was kicking in.

He told me that he thought the linkage on the trans was dirty and sticking after he inspected it. He cleaned and lubricated it and took it for a drive. He told me that initially it responded very good, but went back and forth to good and bad after that.

He said to drive the truck for a few days to see if the linkage breaks in better and it may solve everything. If not he says he's gonna pull the pan and check out what going on inside and that it may only need new solenoid and transducer.

If that doesnt fix it, then he said eventually i will lose second gear and need a new tranny. Does this sound right to everyone?

Quick Reply: Sputtering between first and second gear, please help