2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new heads?

Im looking at replacing my heads when I do my cam swap. I have a 98 dodge 5.2 2wd auto. I will most likely be using hipotek 206xr on 110 lsa .
Which heads would you recommend. I was looking at the indy x heads w/ 1.92 valve?

How does the eq's compare? The iron rams?

I want to make a sound decision that I wont regret.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not stock rebuilt and you will be golden.

Lots of people round here use the Odessa Clearwater heads. 1.92 and 2.02 valves. They are basically iron rams. New castings better flowing than stock. Thicker too.

I would reccomend having your heads drilled out to except standard 3/8 studs and use cheapo Chevy roller rockers.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Thats something I thought of which I still might do...when I get my new heads im going to get a bowl blend and some mild pocket porting so I might have them do that too..might save me some money :-)

Does anyone else have something similar? Or would like to share their experience?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

There's a set of the Clearwater 2.02 Heads in the User Classifieds section.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

Hey thanks ill look into those.

So I take it that pretty much any of the new heads dont really have too many problems associated with them from one brand vs another...

Im just curious as to hear what people have to say about the aftermarket heads eq, clearwater etc...just want some opinions thanks

Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, the direct link is: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/user-cl...-9-magnum.html

No, as long as you get some aftermarket heads, you'll be good. The problem with the stock ones is they crack between the intake and exhaust valves. The aftermarket ones have thicker castings in that area and are much less prone to cracking.

I kind of suspect a number of the head brands are the same. The Odessa and Clearwater heads are the same casting, and both of those companies are located on the same street. The EQ Heads I have came from Clearwater...

Old 09-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

What about the indy x heads? Those I feel would be better to drill and tap for the 3/8 so I can run cheapy chevy rockers.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,975 Posts

You want to make sure you get NEW castings, not just reman heads. The factory pieces had thin decks, and were thus prone to cracking around the valve seats. (poor heat dissipation) Overheat them once, and they are pretty much done.

Any of the aftermarket NEW castings will have plenty of meat to drill for 3/8ths rocker studs. Odessa/Clearwater offer both 1.92 intake, and 2.02 intake valves. Just depends on what you are building for.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 311 Likes on 293 Posts

If you are looking at using aluminum heads, might also want to consider Edelbrock magnum heads. They are setup to use Chevy style roller rockers on 3/8 studs out of the box. These heads have 2.02 intake valves.

If you decide to buy a set of Indy heads, be sure to go through a major Indy reseller, as Indy's customer service with individuals directly leave a lot to be desired if you encounter an issue with their product.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Duguid.kevin
Amateur

I was going to go through hipotek for the heads but im also goin to get the hpt206xr on 110 lsa w/ 480/512 lift. Im building the top end only I wont have the time or the money to rebuild the whole motor. Im building it for torque and off the line power w/ still a decent amount of highway power. I plan on putting 4.10s w/ lsd in the rear and the trans is already rebuilt to withstand a grenade.

The heads I (which ever ones I choose) I would do a bowl blend and mild pocket porting. Im looking at using 1.92 valves as well.

If there is something else that tyou suggest ill definately look into it as nothing is set in stone...this is definately on a budget but yet I dont mind spending the extra money where its needed.

Quick Reply: new heads?