2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE rebuild in progress...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:13 AM
34blazer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE rebuild in progress...COMPLETE WITH NOTES

UPDATE! Ill also add my notes here for anyone interested....

Finished up today! For some reason the crank position sensor started to fail and caused the engine to run poorly, small set back but fixed now.

Some notes:

The transmission operates without any issue, although I only tested it up to about 50mph, but OD works and the TCC operates as it should.

First to second gear shift is about the same as before, I figured drilling the transfer plate would make it more a firm shift, but it's still good. I may go back and remove the check ball for that shift sequence at a later date.

Second to third gear shift is nice and firm, no binding, no flare. I was a little worried since I added a clutch and steel to the direct drum, and had the pressure plate turned down a bit. We shall see if this holds up. TCC lock is nice and firm in third as well.

Third to Fourth is nice and firm too, my measurements must have been somewhat accurate(for the selective spacer), even with the added clutch and steel. TCC lock is nice and firm.

I notice the soft "garage shift" into forward gears after adding the #7 check ball. Im used to the firm shift so it took me a second after bracing for a firm shift that it was in gear. No issues, works as it should.

I retained the OEM pressure regulator spring and added a shim that was included in the sure cure kit, the trans shifts just a tad higher than before, maybe by 200 RPMs or so, which is what I wanted.

I did have to add some shims for the front/rear planetary gears to tighten it up, it was within spec but I wanted it closer to the tighter region of the specification.

Endplay was a little loose for my liking, even though it was at .068" and within spec, I did some math and shimmed the washer in between the turbine shaft and intermediate shaft, endplay is right at .023".

I'm really happy that everything jives and the trans didn't self destruct within the first mile. Like I stated above, I may go back into the valvebody and drill out the 1-2 shift hole or remove the check ball all together.

For reference I coupled the sonnax sure cure kit with the transgo JR shift kit, and there appears to be no conflict with the hydraulics, such as binding or flare between shifts.

Thanks for reading!

During the assembly of the planetary geartrain, I ran into a couple of issues.

The first issue was a missing thrust washer inside the sun gear shell, ordered up a new kit for that.

The second issue is an added shim to the front planetary, sandwiched in between the ring gear shell and planetary. See pics...

The ATSG manual doesn't show this, probably since most of the manual seems to apply to the 48RE. But I did find it in the 96 FSM. I can guess why this added shim was added but I need some additional opinions. The added shim causes the planetary to protrude from the ring gear shell slightly, not sure if I like that. Could I remove that shim?

Attached Thumbnails 46RE rebuild in progress...-front-planetary-ring-shim.jpg   46RE rebuild in progress...-front-planetary.jpg  

Last edited by 34blazer; 06-03-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: added notes for reference
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Where's montec when ya need him.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
34blazer
Rookie

I know, seems like all the pro trans builders have left.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

A fair few 48RE parts will fit in the 46 case... so, just go by what the book tells you. Think that's gonna be your best bet.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:41 PM
34blazer
Rookie

The shim is actually a thrust washer, the ATSG shows a different type, but that is for the 48RE. The 46RE uses the hardened thrust washer. The person who rebuilt this trans last had the sun shell thrust washer in the wrong location. Back on track now.

On a side note, why is this site so stingy with the attachment limit? Two pics and Ive already reached the max allowable attachments. Doesn't the owner of this site make enough off ad revenue? lol

Old 05-08-2015, 02:47 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATSG book is full of errors. Just be aware of that and you'll be ok.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by horatio102
The ATSG book is full of errors. Just be aware of that and you'll be ok.

Can you elaborate on those errors?

Old 05-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Doesn't the owner of this site make enough off ad revenue?
Yea, you can't read the post for all the adds!!!! It's the worst part of the this site. It needs to be addressed/fixed! Advertise a Chevy(or brand X) on a Dodge site.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't see any ads. I run firefox, with adblock edge.... No ads at all.

For pics and such, best bet is to host them elsewhere... Photobucket, or Imageshack, or a similar site. (that allows for direct links....)

Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 AM
34blazer
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't see any ads. I run firefox, with adblock edge.... No ads at all.

For pics and such, best bet is to host them elsewhere... Photobucket, or Imageshack, or a similar site. (that allows for direct links....)
Thanks for the tip, works great and the computer isnt as bogged down as it was. Didnt realize I needed to search for an ad blocker add-on.

Quick Reply: 46RE rebuild in progress...