2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can the No Bus code in odometer mean anything other than failing PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the No Bus code in odometer mean anything other than failing PCM?

Since i cant get hits on whether or not the stalling is from pcm, lets go simpler.

-No Bus on odometer after died coming to stop.
-Can No Bus code be anything other than failing PCM

Old 09-25-2015, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

No bus indicates the cluster isn't getting information from the central timer module. It's acts as the hub for the system. (as in, networking) So, might be the PCM, might be the CTM...... I am not sure of any real way to diagnose which is the failing component, short of replacing one, or the other, and see if the problem goes away. Given that the truck simply dies, and then the message pops up, that would tend to indicate PCM failure though.....

Old 09-25-2015, 09:20 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
No bus indicates the cluster isn't getting information from the central timer module. It's acts as the hub for the system. (as in, networking) So, might be the PCM, might be the CTM...... I am not sure of any real way to diagnose which is the failing component, short of replacing one, or the other, and see if the problem goes away. Given that the truck simply dies, and then the message pops up, that would tend to indicate PCM failure though.....
What exactly does the CTM do? could that be what i herd clicking when the idle drops too low? i hear it some where near the Junction Box and i saw a diagram that looks like it places the CTM under the dash in that area

Old 09-26-2015, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

CTM does all sorts of stuff. Good description for it in the service manual. So far as I know though, no relays directly involved there.

One of it's main jobs though, is it acts as a network hub, between the PCM, cluster, and diagnostic port. Just like a hub on a computer network. But, even if it failed, the engine would still run, just the cluster wouldn't have any idea what was going on. The engine quitting does tend to indicate a PCM problem.

I think CMCKenna had a good post for troubleshooting No Bus errors.... of course, it's a few years old now, but, it should still be findable.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:33 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
CTM does all sorts of stuff. Good description for it in the service manual. So far as I know though, no relays directly involved there.

One of it's main jobs though, is it acts as a network hub, between the PCM, cluster, and diagnostic port. Just like a hub on a computer network. But, even if it failed, the engine would still run, just the cluster wouldn't have any idea what was going on. The engine quitting does tend to indicate a PCM problem.

I think CMCKenna had a good post for troubleshooting No Bus errors.... of course, it's a few years old now, but, it should still be findable.
so let me throw this option out. Like i said it has done this a total of three times first time was a 90+ degree day back in August, the other two were yesterday which was a 90 degree day. out of the three times i saw no bus once. not to say it ddint show up the other times and i just missed it. But what are the possibilities of it being the CKP going bad and i got the no bus as a fluke thing? i only saw it pop up after trying to crank it over a few times with no prevail. it didnt come on right when it died if my memory serves correctly.

The thing is i live in southern CA. its all heavily populated city so i cant just go drive around anywhere until it does it again without putting myself and others in danger. God for bid it died on my on the dreaded 405. I would get shot for making people even later.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's *possible* the crank sensor is giving you fits, but, it rarely produces the no bus problem.....

Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 AM
LoneWolfArcher
Professional

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
The thing is i live in southern CA. its all heavily populated city so i cant just go drive around anywhere until it does it again without putting myself and others in danger. God for bid it died on my on the dreaded 405. I would get shot for making people even later.
The good news is that CA doesn't allow anyone to own firearms, so you'll just get stabbed.

Seriously though, I would try the PCM first. If it is going then it could cause other systems to act flaky.

Another left field thought, how old is your battery?

Old 09-29-2015, 12:04 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by LoneWolfArcher
The good news is that CA doesn't allow anyone to own firearms, so you'll just get stabbed.

Seriously though, I would try the PCM first. If it is going then it could cause other systems to act flaky.

Another left field thought, how old is your battery?
brand new optima red top. only a year old

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

if the ckp was the culprit and is killing the truck would that throw a code that stayed? when it dies the CEL comes on but goes away when it fires back up and i cant read it

Old 09-29-2015, 09:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

CEL will be on with engine not running in any event.

If it starts right back up, chances are good, the crank sensor is fine.

Quick Reply: Can the No Bus code in odometer mean anything other than failing PCM?