2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back in the game, turbo time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the game, turbo time!

So after mothballing the Dodge, driving a silverado (blew the motor), then a 7.3 (blew the trans) and an Audi (kinda funny that one was motor and both turbos), I finally got off my *** and finished the Dodge, 2 years later. I came across a turbo (gta4294) and figured "let's turbo this turd!".

I've pretty much replaced or upgraded the whole drive train minus the tcase, please spare me the "you'll break this" comments.

So.... the plumbing is the pretty much already test fabbed, I just have a few kinks to work out.

I'm torn between getting away from efi and using a blowthrough carb but I can't find a stand alone tcu for the 46re. Or using a tuner, but I really can't find resources on which chip/tuner/ecu/voodoo magic I should use. Suggestions for this will be greatly appreciated.

Next will be where on the block would you tap oil feed?

Manifold flip is probably gonna be the easiest, with the efans I have the space for a front mounted turbo, any confirmation that the manifolds will bolt up decently? Just eyeballing it I can see my p/s pump will need a relocate.

Any other useful tips or someone else's build thread would be great.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Chat with Hemifever, or Flyin' Ryan about tunes for your truck.

So far as I know, there isn't a standalone TCU that I have ever seen.....

Should be able to get oil feed from the pressure sensor port..... put a restrictor in it though, so you don't starve other parts of the engine.... (or, just use small tubing?)

Old 10-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Iv'e seen some people use the megasquirt pcm running turbo(s). Best part about that is you can make changes via a laptop as apposed to data logging/tune(Hemifever). Megasquirt has different modules to run different transmissions. I have heard you can use the 46RE but never researched it that far. Where do you plan on putting it? You may want to consider a remote mount turbo instead of in the engine compartment.

http://www.msextra.com/

Twin turbo kit$.
http://www.sd-concepts.com/pages/cfTurboDakotaRT.cfm

Love spooling turbos!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Khris1994
Veteran

Downgrade to the RH and no more trans issue?

Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Annoys the PCM though.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Khris1994
Veteran

PCM flash for that? Along with I remember running across some website a while back that the company said they had a flash that would let you run turbo on the truck. I wish I had saved the site

Old 10-06-2015, 08:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Someone's generic tune isn't going to be what you want. You need to spend the money for custom tuning. Turbo's are finicky, too much, or, even worse, not enough.. fuel, and your engine turns into a grenade, scattering parts all over the place. You need someone that is going to work with you, to write tune for YOUR combination. Yeah, it's not cheap, but, forced induction never is.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
... Yeah, it's not cheap, but, forced induction never is.
It's not cheap to do it right, and it's not cheap if you do it wrong... the only difference is, one works and the other leaves a big trail of bits on the ground

Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by Khris1994
PCM flash for that? Along with I remember running across some website a while back that the company said they had a flash that would let you run turbo on the truck. I wish I had saved the site
I think your talking about hughes, pretty much give engine stats/upgrades and they'll write a tune.

I'd go with megasquirt but I really haven't anyone running them with a 46re, and I'm no tuning genius to write my own tunes either. Kinda shameful the lack of turbo support these motors have compared to efi gm/ford.

As for going with an RH, the RE was rebuilt 50 miles ago, I'd at least wanna see it shoot a planetary out the case before replacing it

Quick Reply: Back in the game, turbo time!