2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! Wheel keeps breaking off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Wheel keeps breaking off!

Hello. I recently bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4. For some reason once you get the truck above 35 mph or so, and let off the gas, the front of the truck starts bouncing and popping very violently. (without braking) In the midst of the bouncing the wheel studs keep breaking off of my front passenger side wheel. It has broken the studs 3 times. I was told by someone who was beside the truck that the wheel started spinning backwards before it broke off. I assumed that it was trying to lock into 4x4 while driving and when it does the resistance causes the wheel to snap off. However, I removed the front drive shaft and it still does it. Am i just going to have to replace the entire front axel? All of the front suspension has been replaced as well as the hubs. Thank you in advance for any help!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Death wobble. You still have some worn parts there, or, wrong parts. Did you replace the shocks? Track bar? How do the control arm bushings look?

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachwils95
Hello. I recently bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4. For some reason once you get the truck above 35 mph or so, and let off the gas, the front of the truck starts bouncing and popping very violently. (without braking) In the midst of the bouncing the wheel studs keep breaking off of my front passenger side wheel. It has broken the studs 3 times. I was told by someone who was beside the truck that the wheel started spinning backwards before it broke off. I assumed that it was trying to lock into 4x4 while driving and when it does the resistance causes the wheel to snap off. However, I removed the front drive shaft and it still does it. Am i just going to have to replace the entire front axel? All of the front suspension has been replaced as well as the hubs. Thank you in advance for any help!
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Death wobble. You still have some worn parts there, or, wrong parts. Did you replace the shocks? Track bar? How do the control arm bushings look?

Welcome to DF!
That sounds like more than the death wobble. Look at the u joints on the steering knuckles closely. It almost sounds like the drivers side is binding and trying to make the other side spin to compensate.

It also sounds like the cad on the front end is locking in when you let off the gas. Might want to check vacuum there and make sure it's working properly.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but these are ideas to start you on.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:09 AM
Zachwils95
Amateur

Track bar was replaced. Shocks were not. I just looked at the control arms and the lower drivers side has a bow in it. Could this be causing it?

Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sure isn't gonna help.

Jack up the front, see if there is still slop anywhere.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur

Okay guys, so I messed with it a little bit today. The shifter linkage to the t case was loose and off set a good bit. I reset it and tightened it down. Also while I was under there I turned where the front drive shaft connects and the transfer case makes a clunking noise while spinning. I drove it around at low speeds today in 2 low. It seems to do the jumping worse in 2 low. And it's the only time it will do it at low speeds. The truck seems to have much more power in 2L even though the front drive shaft is removed. When the truck starts doing the jumping at low speeds the engine stalls, since the front drive shaft is not installed, I'm assuming that it is impossible for it to be the front end causing it. Could this possibly be an issue with the transfer case or transmission? The truck shifts well while driving so that leads me to believe that maybe it's the t-case. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Generally, for that type of noise, I would suspect a stretched chain in the t-case, but, I wouldn't think that would happen without the front shaft installed. That's just odd.

With the truck in park, t-case in 4 hi, how far can you turn the front output shaft?

Old 12-07-2016, 10:39 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you have 2-low? Did you mean 4-low?

I wonder if your transfer case was swapped out at some point and the 4wd shifter pattern is different than what you think it is...

Then it might make sense. If you are 4wd but think that you are in 2wd, and driving on pavement, you might be breaking things...

Last edited by dbbd1; 12-07-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe his snap ring came off and he needs a T-case saver.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Zachwils95
Amateur

yes, I meant 4 low. Not sure why I said 2 low..
If it were in 4wd I wouldn't be able to freely spin the output on the t-case would I?