3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Transmission temp light/solonoid pack replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Daswatitdo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission temp light/solonoid pack replacement

Hello to all...
I have a 2005 quad cab SLT 4.7
Been dealing with the tranny temp/shifting issue. Shop replaced the solonoid pack, and the the trans temp light still comes on and acts the same before the new pack. Can anyone shed some light here. I've been searching the forum for a while and have found posts here and there...but I'm only on page 51 of 600+ and I'm not sure what I should tackle next... Don't want to keep replacing parts with no positive results. If anyone can offer some advice or know of any links with some sort of remedy it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 PM
stonny9
Amateur

Your trans is probably slipping and needs a rebuild or your torque converter isnt locking up.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Daswatitdo

Thanks for the reply Stonny9... I've been reading up on this for quite some time now.. And I do agree... It could be the torque converter... I do believe the trans itself is fine... But some component of the system is failing...don't think I need a rebuild. Dealership has it now..will find out shortly... Apparently this is a relatively common problem... And has been dealt with by others... And I honestly thought this post would generate lots of useful info... Guess not. However I do appreciate you taking the time to offer a helping hand. One again thank you Stonny9

Old 06-28-2015, 08:11 AM
stonny9
Amateur

I would think the dealer would be able to command a torque converter to lock up and look for slippage as it is an electronic transmission

Old 07-13-2015, 06:54 PM
sethgtrx4
Professional

Im in the middle of this same issue. I just replaced the pack and did a complete service. Ive done some research and it might be the PCM. Powertrain control module. Shop is gong to get my truck later this week, Ill keep you guys posted.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Daswatitdo

It's the pcm.. 200 dollar plug and play part... Don't let the dealer screw you.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM
sparks1032
Rookie

Ok having a similar issue can someone clarify that this is going to fix the intermittent Trans Temp issue? What were the symptoms prior? If any? Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 PM
Daswatitdo

My symptoms were when the trans temp light came on... The truck would instantly begin shifting irregularly... Which is apparently a design feature to help protect the transmission.
The trans temp light would come on periodically when I bought it with about 50,000miles.. Then it became more of a regular occurrence until about 110,00 when it came on like clock work. I took it in for repair..... The Solenoid pack was replaced..... Didn't help.
Put the old pack back in.... Changed the PCM.....and problem solved.
Trust me... It wasn't as simple as it reads... Dealt with all sorts of needless bull... But if it's the trans temp light.... Odds are this is your fix or one of the most likely causes.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 AM
sethgtrx4
Professional

I just installed my refurbished pcm...Auto computer exchange did the refurbish job. but now Im having a no start situation. no errors on the dash either. I have a message out to the business to confirm that maybe I need to disconnect the harness for the RFID (chipped key system?) near the ignition. I did this and still no start. Im hoping that I can still use my computer to drive the truck..any info on this?

Originally Posted by Daswatitdo
My symptoms were when the trans temp light came on... The truck would instantly begin shifting irregularly... Which is apparently a design feature to help protect the transmission.
The trans temp light would come on periodically when I bought it with about 50,000miles.. Then it became more of a regular occurrence until about 110,00 when it came on like clock work. I took it in for repair..... The Solenoid pack was replaced..... Didn't help.
Put the old pack back in.... Changed the PCM.....and problem solved.
Trust me... It wasn't as simple as it reads... Dealt with all sorts of needless bull... But if it's the trans temp light.... Odds are this is your fix or one of the most likely causes.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did a search for this Auto Computer Exchange. I see a lot of complaints of people getting bad units in the reviews.

Quick Reply: Transmission temp light/solonoid pack replacement