3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear Window Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM
travisfimple
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Window Replacement

Need to replace my rear window in my 2008 Ram 2500 but the quotes I got are crazy. I found a replacement CR Laurence Inc. slider for $220 shipped to my door. Anyone know anything about this company and is it worth a crap? What brand is in my truck from the factory?

I am very close to trying the install myself. It seems the only difficult part is getting the old urethane out. Seems like the new one will drop right in with some primer and urethane. Anyone done this themselves on a 3rd gen?

The local body shop says they can get the power rear window a little cheaper. Is it possible to upgrade or this a huge PITA?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
IABOOMER

I have a similar problem and just chose to not fix it. My power slider quit working at 32K miles. Of course I was out of 3 year part of my warranty. Took it to the dealer to get a quote. First quote was for the window as it only sounded like the cable in the track popped out of a bracket or a bracket broke. They wanted and stupid amount of money to fix it $500+ if I remember correctly. I open my slider almost daily so I thought go ahead and fix it. Then they called to tell me they ordered the wrong part and the motor was grinding. Funny how that wasn't a problem before. They then quoted me almost $1,200 for the whole thing as that was the only way they could order it. I told them to give me truck back and they are basically selling crap that won't last. Of course I had to pay the service diagnosis time. Not sure this helps much but wanted to share my story of a similar problem to give you an idea of costs out there. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Installing a powered rear window is possible but it's Not going to be Cheap! You need the tracks, motor, wiring, switch...etc
The middle sliding glass is available as a replacement part through Chrysler for a descent price. The outside pieces are NOT available as the entire assembly needs to be purchased if one of those break.
If Labor is more than $200 then I would do it myself. Even if it took you 8hours to complete, that's paying yourself $25/hr. The sealant is difficult to scrape out, but it's do able.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
travisfimple
Rookie

The cheapest quote I got was $475. So that's abou $200 over the price of me buying it myself after I buy primer and urethane. Just not too confident in getting the old one out or the new one in. Anyone got any tips?

FYI there is a whole power window assembly from Chrysler and it looks like it includes wiring harness, switch and everything. Bad news is that it is a little over $500 and looks like a little bit of a hassle from the instructions because of all the back interior has to come out. Part No. 82210002

Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Local glass shops no help?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM
travisfimple
Rookie

Not really any decent local shops besides ones affiliated with the national companies like safelite and they are way too proud of their work and only want to put in an overpriced window of their choosing. I have found the most help from local auto body shops. I think I will just buy one myself and talk them into installing it. Should still be able to save about $100 or more.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a plan.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 PM
torque79

Safelite is not overpriced. They mostly do Windshields and door glass's that the company themselves make. The tag for the Glass would have the initals SGC (Safelite Glass Corp). I personally would not recommend anyone using them. They are horrible at what they do. I've replaced glass that they have done and found rusted through holes in brand new vehicles. For the rear windows they would have to order from a glass distributer (Pilkington, Mygrant, PGW.) 95% of the glass I use are from Guardian which is OEM, sometimes better then factory. We usually charge $90.00 per hour and 20 for kit, with you supplying the glass. CRL, don't have the best glass. They usually don't fit the way they should. I would spend the extra money for an OE unit, but thats my opinion.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say go with the power window if you can afford it! The breeze you can generate is so nice! Especially for the people in the back seat.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM
travisfimple
Rookie

Ended up going through the local bodyshop that uses a local glass shop. From what the bodyshop told me, be very carefull who you use since the newer Dodges are about the most difficult to replace. They had one guy completely ruin the paint on a truck a couple months ago because he didn't know what he was doing and scratched the whole back of the cab up. With that in mind he specifically asked for one of their installers that he had used before.

It was about $200 cheaper than safelite and installed a Pilkington. Not quite as clean looking as the factory window but it should work. The seal sticks out just a little more than the factory and has some extra gap because of the way it was made. Just make sure you get a reliable person that has done it before on a Dodge Ram!

Quick Reply: Rear Window Replacement