3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear tire cupping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
c_munkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire cupping?

Hey guys got an issue for yall. My passenger rear tire is cupping on the inside, any ideas? I have recently replaced the shocks with rancho 5ks and replaced the u-joints. The tires were replaced about 5000 miles ago due to cupping. Im not sure what it could be. Its a 06 1500 4x2.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:58 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Might have a 4-wheel alignment done to make sure the tires are running straight.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all, make sure you are calling your uneven tire wear the right thing. I often see guys call any type of uneven wear "cupping".

Cups are actually scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other. If you are experiencing true cupping, it's ALWAYS caused by a worn suspension component and a wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to your truck (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition.

Now if you simply have one side of the tire wearing faster than the other, then it's NOT cupping and it's probably being caused by improper camber, which causes the wheel to lean either too far to the inside or the outside. In this case, an alignment will probably fix the condition...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-12-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM
LieutenantDan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but cupping is also caused by lack of tire rotation, correct? Although at 5,000 miles on the new tires, that's not the case. I would make sure that you don't have excessive play on that wheel. Unless I'm mistaken, and alignment won't do anything for a solid rear axle.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Hey LT, well it's true that there's not much than can be done for an alignment on the rear axle, but they should be able to at least make sure that the wheels are mounted perfectly straight. When I used to get my alignments done at pepboys (I know Hammer, I know!) they would also mount the sensor things on the rear wheels just to check the angles.

C Munkey, this page here has a few pics showing the different types of tire wear. http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_wear.htm Keep us posted.

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 11-12-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Wow sounds like a bent rear housing.. Let us know when you figure it out PLEASE!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Lifttruck
Rookie

Originally Posted by plainbroke
wow sounds like a bent rear housing.. Let us know when you figure it out please!
bingo!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
c_munkey

Thanks everybody! I knew what cupping is, but its still good info. I am going to take it to a shop and let them look into it. I have been chasing things all over this truck and I am getting tired lol. Hopefully it wont be a bent housing, but I will let everyone know. I just fixed the front end shake now I have to deal with the rear.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM
c_munkey

Well took it to a shop and they said it was the tires. The tires were used and just put on a little while ago. Guess its time to suck it up and buy new tires. Everything I had replaced is what they would have done to fix the issue.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
LieutenantDan

Didn't you put the tires on 5,000 miles ago? Or are you saying you put used tires on?

Quick Reply: Rear tire cupping?