3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Towing Power of 3rd Gen Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
shelad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Power of 3rd Gen Ram 1500

My parents have a 2004 Ram 1500 quad cab short bed 4x4 with the 5.7 L Hemi V8, and we have been using this truck to tow a 4-horse goose neck trailer for years. Recently my father-in-law told me that the truck isn't mechanically big enough to be hauling that trailer. It's never given us any problems, and they do have an electronic trailer brake installed to help with stops, but I wondered if the trailer (which weighs 9000 lbs unloaded, probably 12,000 lbs loaded) was too much for the truck.

After driving my parents' Ram and loving it, I am considering getting one of my own. The one I'm looking at is a 2006 Ram 1500 quad cab short bed, with the SLT package, 4x4, and the 4.3 L Magnum V8 engine. What is the difference in power (and gas mileage) when it comes to these two trucks? I know my dad averaged 13 mpg with regular driving and 8 mpg when towing...should my mpg be better than that, and what could I do to improve mpg (besides changing my driving habits, since I have a pretty light foot)? Would it be able to occasionally handle pulling the gooseneck? I have a little 2-horse bumper pull that I will be hauling most of the time so I wouldn't be using the gooseneck very often, if at all. Just wondered if it could handle it, if the need would ever arise.

One more quick question, that has nothing to do with towing capabilities. The truck I am looking at has a sizable tear in the fabric of the drivers seat. It hasn't deterred me from considering the vehicle, but what would it take to fix a tear in the seat?

Thank y'all in advance for your help!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, uh yea. Even unloaded 9k is over the tow rating. 8000lbs is about it for safe towing on a 1/2 ton. Do you mean 4.7L ? I don't think there was ever a 4.3L V8. If you mean 4.7, its weak, and will get the same if not worse mileage. I sure as hell wouldnt try and tow 12k with a 1500 4.7L.

According to Dodge they say its 8350# for max tow on a 1500, with the following caveats:

** When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

Meaning no 20 in rims, the correct rear end, 5.7L, etc.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Technically you have been towing beyond the 9200 lb. capacity of the truck (and that's assuming the BEST of every option - 17" wheels, WD hitch, etc.) Truck can handle it but you do open yourself up to certain things when towing over the manufacturer's stated capacity. First, you can be ticketed and it's usually a pretty steep fine and I've even known guys to be made to unhook the load and have to make arrangements for a truck with the proper capacity to have to come pick up the trailer. This could be a MAJOR issue if you're talking livestock here.
Secondly, your insurance company is well within their rights to deny coverage should you be in an accident while towing over capacity. God forbid an injury or worse should result from such an accident - you could potentially lose everything you own.

Now on to the specs: First off, there is no such thing as a 4.3L Magnum V8. Options for the 2006 Ram 1500 are a 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L (Hemi) V8.
The Hemi has approximately 100 more HP and 100 more TQ than the 4.8 while getting about the same fuel economy - some report slightly better with the larger Hemi. Fuel economy mods often cost more than they save in gas.

Towing differences in an '06 QC 4x4 Hemi would max out at 9100 lbs. with 3.92 gearing while the 4.7 version would be 7150 lbs. with 3.92 gears and 6150 lbs. with the more common 3.55 gears. Again, these ratings are assuming all towing options, WD hitch, 17" wheels, etc.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:22 PM
shelad

Oops, I had a typo there. I meant the 4.7 L V8, not 4.3.

Think it's been established that the goose neck is well above towing capacity for the truck, so if I get the 06 Ram I won't even bother with trying to pull it. I'm confident my 2-horse bumper pull isn't too much for it though, since it only comes in at around 5000 lbs fully loaded.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
boosted-fc3s
Professional

Yea you should be fine with the smaller one.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Arctodus
Captain

Don't settle for a 4.7 if you can afford the Hemi. Much better motor with less problems and more power.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

Much better, but not a superhero.

I had to do the same once, pulling a 14' flatbed tandem which weighed 8000lbs with another 3000+ lbs on it. The wheels are so far back, it made the situation even worse. That would be the same day my brake controller failed while travelling through D.C.. I also got to meet the Secret Service that day. They thought my load was a vat of brew and I was targeting the white house. Funny day.

I will never hurt my truck like that again. So I put in airbags, but will never go over weight. It is too much to manage. Scary day driving. I slid through a red light or two that day.

Attached Thumbnails Towing Power of 3rd Gen Ram 1500-sdc14398.jpg  

Last edited by slakker25rs; 03-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
shelad

So after waiting to hear a reply from the dealer, I find that the truck I was interested in has a blown head gasket...which they did not mention at all on their website. That's why the price seemed to be so reasonable, and the price will go up again once they have fixed it...by then it will be well above the budget of a full-time college student. Looks like I'm going to pass on this one.

What I would love to get my hands on would be a 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins with the Laramie Longhorn package...Oh well, I can dream, right?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That means the previous owner overheated it. VERY common in the 4.7, one of it's faults is that those aluminum heads DO NOT take much of an overheat to take the head gasket out. My guess is the heads are warped too. I hope the dealer doesn't just replace the gasket and pass off that truck to someone who's going to have issues because of the heads.

Seriously, I'd take a cherry '07 5.9 over the 6.7 CTDs, no emission crap and the thing will run forever on the sh*t you used at church last sunday for the fish fry, LOL...

Quick Reply: Towing Power of 3rd Gen Ram 1500