Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:46 AM
rnpalmer2435
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!

Hello, new here to forum and desperately needing help with my 2001 Dodge Caravan SE. 3.3L V6 engine.

We just changed out the spark plugs and wires tonight. Now the van won't start. The engine turns over, but it will not stay running, let alone go to a complete start.

Definite fumes inside the cab and outside. Smells like gasoline. Need ideas. My husband and I are both thinking that it might be a timing issue. Codes popping up are p1684 and p0123. Signed up on Dodge forum for some help would REALLY LOVE some ideas!!

If anyone can help me, this would be great. Hubby and I are both students and money is a little tight right now, so an inexpensive fix is best, but we'll do whatever to make my car run again.

Thanks,

Nida and Rob

Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 PM
07HEMI
Default RE: HELP!!!!

If it was running fine before you worked on it then chances are you have the plug wires crossed up. Do a search on firing order for you vehicle and see if it matches up.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 PM
rnpalmer2435

We have checked the firing order and this is not what is wrong with it. We have checked and rechecked it. Of course, since I'm female, I've been told that I've been ripped off and told that the spark plugs were not what needed changing and that I've just added to the problem.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
07HEMI

So it was running bad to start with?

Old 06-01-2007, 12:12 AM
rnpalmer2435

Yes, it started running bad on Saturday afternoon. It started when we started the vehicle and then once the car warmed up, it stopped. Then it didn't do it again the rest of the day. Then Sunday, it did that thing again where it felt like the car was vibrating extra hard. It did not have any power when I tried to accelerate and then once it warmed up, it was fine. Then it progressively got worse. The first mechanic I took it to, didn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. Then, the next mechanic I took it to said to change out the spark plugs and wires because at 112,300+ miles I still had the original plugs and wires hooked up to my van.

So we changed out the plugs and now it won't start at all. I'm a little perturbed because I don't have the money to keep taking it to mechanic after mechanic to get it fixed, but I also do not have the know-how to fix the problem myself.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:43 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! If theres any place on the web that can help you fix a problem its DF, so I'm sure you wont have any troubles finding a solution, and good luck with the repair!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
rnpalmer2435

Also, now I'm being told that the alternator or the main computer for my car has gone out. I'm thinking that I'm being given the run around. Either that or someone's thinking...ah she's a woman, she doesn't know anything, we'll just screw her out of all kinds of money. Don't know what's going on to be honest, but I don't think it's everything that they are saying it is. I'm hoping that I can get my car out of the shop and over to a mechanic who works on cars as a side income and who comes HIGHLY recommended tomorrow. The shop I took it to has not done anything to it that I believe I should have to pay for.
Anyway, long story short, will find out what's wrong and post it on this blog when I know something.
Nida

Old 06-01-2007, 12:44 PM
rnpalmer2435

Now this morning, I was told that it's the crank positioning sensor that has gone out or is out of whack...WHAT THE HECK IS A CRANK POSITIONING SENSOR?????!!!! Could someone please explain this to me?

Thank you!!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
07HEMI

Crank position sensor works with the cam position sensor. Best way I can describe it is that it tells the computer where top dead center is. Basically it tells the computer when and where to fire the ignition. It could definatly be an option here.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 PM
rnpalmer2435

Ok, I'm still not sure I totally understand this, but at this point, I'm not too worried about trying to understand it as I am cost. This sounds like a very costly repair. If I do understand this right, it is what properly controls the spark plugs and wires and the piston to tell the car to start up, right?

So if this has gone out, basically my starter is not functioning properly or it's this bad sensor not allowing it to function properly.

I won't claim to be smart when it comes to cars. I know how to drive one, change a tire, do an oil change, check the fluid levels, and that's about all I know about cars. Anyway, I appreciate the help I've gotten on this forum.

I'll keep you posted (no pun intended) as to what I find out in the next few days!

Nida