Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner tie rod

2000 Caravan. Have to do a inner tie rod on this any tips or gotchas i should know first ? This will be a first for me so any help is appreciated . Also any good reason i cant take the inner and outer off as a unit ? I don't have a torch and there is no way wrenches will work to separate the outer . The plan is to replace both anyway.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I don't believe the inner tie rods can be serviced? You may need to replace the steering gear assy.
POWER STEERING GEAR
NOTE: The power steering gear should not be serviced or adjusted. If a malfunction or oil leak occurs, the complete steering gear assembly must be replaced.

NOTE: Before proceeding with this procedure, review the SERVICE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS at the beginning of the REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION section.

REMOVAL
CAUTION: Positioning the steering column in the locked position will prevent the clockspring from being accidentally over-extended when the steering column is disconnected from the intermediate steering coupler.

Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
With the ignition key in the locked position turn the steering wheel to the left until the steering wheel is in the locked position.
With the vehicle on the ground, disconnect the steering column shaft coupler from the steering gear intermediate coupler Steering Column Shaft To Intermediate Shaft Attachment
Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist. See Hoisting in the Lubrication and Maintenance section of this service manual, for the required lifting procedure to be used for this vehicle.
Remove the front tires.
Raise the heat sleeve Power Steering Fluid Return Hose Connection on the power steering return hose to expose the return hose to steel tube connection. Remove the return hose from the metal tube of the power steering fluid return line Power Steering Fluid Return Hose Connection Then allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the system through the hose and metal tube.
Remove nut attaching outer tie rod end to steering knuckle Removing/Installing Tie Rod End Attaching Nut Nut is to be removed from tie rod end using the following procedure, hold tie rod end stud with a 11/32 socket while loosening and removing nut with wrench.
Remove both tie rod ends from steering knuckles, using Puller Special Tool MB-990635 or MB-991113 Tie Rod End Removal From Steering Knuckle
Remove the 2 bolts and loosen the third HCU Bracket Attaching Bolts attaching the antilock brakes hydraulic control unit (HCU) to the front suspension cradle. Then rotate the HCU rearward to allow access to the cradle plate attaching nut and bolt just forward of the HCU.
Remove the 10 nuts and bolts Front Suspension Cradle Plate And Attaching Bolts attaching the cradle plate to the bottom of the front suspension cradle. Then remove the cradle plate from the cradle.
If the vehicle is equipped with All-Wheel-Drive, remove the power transfer unit. Refer to Group 21 in this service manual.
Remove the bracket Tube Bracket (FWD Shown) attaching the power steering fluid tubes to the front suspension cradle.
Using a 18mm crowfoot, Power Steering Fluid Pressure And Return Hoses At Steering Gear remove the power steering fluid pressure and return lines Power Steering Fluid Pressure And Return Hoses At Steering Gear from the power steering gear.
Remove the 3 bolts and nuts Steering Gear Mounting To Suspension Cradle mounting the steering gear to the front suspension cradle.
NOTE: The next step must be done to allow the removal of the steering gear from the front suspension cradle. The steering gear can not be removed from the vehicle with the intermediate coupler attached to the steering gear.

Lower steering gear from suspension cradle enough to allow access to the intermediate coupler roll pin Removing Roll Pin From Intermediate Coupler Install Remover/Installer Special Tool 6831A through the center of the roll pin, securing with the knurled nut Removing Roll Pin From Intermediate Coupler Hold threaded rod stationary while turning nut, this will pull the roll pin out of the intermediate coupler.
Separate the intermediate coupler from the shaft of the steering gear.
Remove the steering gear assembly from the front suspension cradle.
INSTALLATION
Install the steering gear up in the front suspension cradle, leaving room to install intermediate coupler.
Start the roll pin into the intermediate coupler before installing coupler on steering gear shaft. Start roll pin into coupler, using a hammer and tapping it into the coupler. Then install the intermediate coupler on the shaft of the steering gear.
Install Remover/Installer Special Tool 6831A through the center of the roll pin, securing it with the knurled nut Installing Roll Pin In Intermediate Coupler Hold threaded rod stationary while turning nut, this will pull the roll pin into the intermediate coupler.
Install steering gear assembly on the front suspension cradle. Install the 3 steering gear to front suspension cradle mounting bolts and nuts Steering Gear Mounting To Suspension Cradle
CAUTION: Proper torque on the steering gear to suspension cradle mounting bolts is very important.

Tighten the 3 steering gear to suspension cradle mounting bolts to a torque of 183 N·m (135 ft. lbs.)
Attach the power steering fluid pressure and return lines Power Steering Fluid Pressure And Return Hoses At Steering Gear to the proper fittings on the steering gear. Tighten the power steering fluid line tube nuts to a torque of 31 N·m (275 in. lbs.)
Install tie rod end into steering knuckle. Start tie rod end to steering knuckle attaching nut onto stud of tie rod end. While holding stud of tie rod end stationary using a 11/32 socket, Removing/Installing Tie Rod End Attaching Nut tighten tie rod end to steering knuckle attaching nut. Then using a crowfoot and 11/32 socket Torquing Tie Rod End Attaching Nut , tighten the tie rod end attaching nut to a torque of 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
If the vehicle is equipped with All-Wheel-Drive, install the power transfer unit. Refer to Group 21 in this service manual
CAUTION: Proper torque on the cradle plate to suspension cradle mounting bolts is very important.

Install cradle plate on front suspension cradle and install the 10 cradle plate to cradle attaching bolts and nuts Front Suspension Cradle Plate And Attaching Bolts Tighten all attaching bolts to a torque of 165 N·m (123 ft. lbs.)
Install the bracket Tube Bracket (FWD Shown) attaching the power steering fluid tubes to the front suspension cradle.
Install the power steering fluid return hose on the steel tube at the front suspension cradle Power Steering Fluid Return Hose Connection
Install a screw type hose clamp on the power steering hose to steel tube connection. Be sure hose clamp is installed on return tube past the upset bead on the tube. Tighten the screw clamp to a torque of 2 N·m (18 in. lbs.)
CAUTION: The protective heat shield sleeves must cover the entire rubber hose and hose to tube connection portion of both the power steering fluid pressure and return hoses Power Steering Fluid Return Hose Connection This is required to prevent the power steering hoses from being overheated.

When used, properly position the protective heat sleeves on the power steering hoses. Then, tie strap the heat sleeves to the power steering hoses to keep them in their proper position.
Install the front tire and wheel assemblies on vehicle. Install the wheel lug nuts and torque to 129 N·m (95 ft. lbs.)
Lower the vehicle to a level were the interior of vehicle is accessible.
Using the intermediate coupler, turn the front wheels of the vehicle to the left until the intermediate coupler shaft is properly aligned with the steering column coupler. Assemble the steering column shaft coupler Steering Column Shaft To Intermediate Shaft Attachment onto the steering gear intermediate coupler. Install steering column coupler to intermediate shaft retaining pinch bolt Steering Column Shaft To Intermediate Shaft Attachment Tighten the pinch bolt nut to a torque of 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.)
Perform the POWER STEERING PUMP INITIAL OPERATION service procedure listed in the POWER STEERING PUMP section of this group to properly fill and bleed the power steering system.
Inspect for leaks.
Adjust front toe.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:01 AM
carafan
Amateur

Yep very replaceable see here Moog part number EV362 and here . Problem is the information online is kinda sketchy and fragmented one says to put a wrench on the steering gear another says there is a pin of some sort that need removing . Still others mention nothing of the sort so all kinda confusing . I know the service manuals say there not replaceable same as the Neon but they are .

Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Then it maybe the same as the ford rack n pinions, Thats where you knocked out a pin and use a tube socket to loosen and tighten.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck getting enough room in there to rip apart the rack. I myself have always replaced the whole rack.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 PM
carafan
Amateur

So i went ahead and replaced them both not a big deal really pretty simple actually. The only real "special" tool required was a pipe wrench to break the inners free. Didn't even drop the suspension cradle although it would have given more room to work it seemed like it would have made the job a lot longer than it had to be . In summary: Get the van in the air on jack stands. Remove both front tires. Remove bolt from outer tie rod end. Using a pickle fork or similar tool break the outer free. Crawl under pipe wrench in hand and a pair of needle nose. Break the clamp on the inner side of the boot with the needle nose remove the remove outer clamp slide boot forwards. Make sure the steering is locked place pipe wrench on the inner give it a decent tug it should break free no problem. Spin it off as a unit. Measure the old one write down the measurement i used a grinder to cut the old one in half to remove the boot . Place boot on new inner install outer measure it to make sure it's close to original install. They call for 60 foot pounds of torque unless you have the inner tie rod tool you will have to guess. Secure boot with original small clamp on the outside and a long tie wrap on the inside. Install outer torque it 40 foot pounds i used a cheap dial wrench for this install cotter pin and grease. The outer where it connects to the hub calls for 40 foot pounds according to the Haynes . Get to an alignment shop right away it's gonna be out a bit no matter how careful you are. Some notes Make sure the van is secure before crawling under. Took me about 20 minutes a side. Don't use a big pipe wrench its not needed and there's no room for one in any case you should only have to break it free then you can remove it by hand. I greased the inner and also greased the boot just seemed like a good idea with all the salt and crap on our roads. The outer should come with a grease fitting make sure to have a grease gun and grease it or it will make noise . It would have cost a fortune to replace the whole unit the inner and outer both sides $150 with a lifetime warranty .

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Good job. Did you need to set the toe?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 AM
carafan
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Good job. Did you need to set the toe?
I actually measured everything taking the inner and outer off in one piece made it easy to get the new ones close in the words of the tech at the alignment shop it was pretty darn close . Now 2 people i know with Caravans want me to do there's LOL . I cant really stress how easy it was Is it just me or are Dodges just easy to work on for most things ?