Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Rear Struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
jwblock
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Struts

I need to replace the rear struts on my 2004 Stratus. One wheel is off and I could reove the old strut, except for the bottom bolt. I can't get the bolt all the way out. Not sure of the part name, looks like a control arm lower rear of some type. That arm is in the way. Is there any other way to get enough clearance to get the bottom bolt out without removing that lower arm? If the bolt had beeen put in from the other side I would not have this problem!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 AM
BillS
Captain

that would have been to easy, no that bar is called a lateral link or camber link(deprnding on who you talk to) has to be moved if you take out the bolt closest to tire you can raise it enough to get strut bolt out uses a 3//4 or 19 mm socket, when your putting strut in found it easier to use a screwdriver(lift) and hammerTap) to get it back on lower mount

Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM
jwblock

Originally Posted by BillS
that would have been to easy, no that bar is called a lateral link or camber link(deprnding on who you talk to) has to be moved if you take out the bolt closest to tire you can raise it enough to get strut bolt out uses a 3//4 or 19 mm socket, when your putting strut in found it easier to use a screwdriver(lift) and hammerTap) to get it back on lower mount
Thanks! I removed the bolt closest to the tire with a monster breaker bar and swung the "thing" out of the way, removed the lower strut bolt.

Do you have the torque spec's for these bolts? 2 bolts on top in trunk, 1 bolt on strut bottom, 1 bolt for the camber link.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM
BillS
Captain

yes top bolts are 40ft. lbs be careful tightening that one put a new mount on mine snapped bolt snapped at 20 lbs. ,bottom is 70 ft. lbs,and the lateral(camber) link is 80 ft. lbs

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM
jwblock

Originally Posted by BillS
yes top bolts are 40ft. lbs be careful tightening that one put a new mount on mine snapped bolt snapped at 20 lbs. ,bottom is 70 ft. lbs,and the lateral(camber) link is 80 ft. lbs
Thanks! I'm going to take baby steps with the top bolts. I need the car back in service.I can't wait another week for warranty struts, if I bust the bolt. New struts should be here tomorrow morning, I ordered on line and saved a ton.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
BillS
Captain

no you won't break the strut bolt ,i was talking about the mount bolts breaking

Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
cyclones

I am helping a friend replace a rear strut on his 03 stratus sedan this weekend. It appears the the strut corroded and literally split in two near the top... though it's hard to tell with the tire on.

Would those who have done this please share the procedure with me? I've done struts but not on a stratus.

A few questions on my mind right now:
- What I've done before is to remove the entire strut assembly and remove the spring with a spring compressor once it's off the car. Will that work in this situation?

- assume I need to remove the cover in the back window to get to the strut mount nuts. How do I remove that cover?

- Any other "gotchas" to look out for?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

REMOVAL - SHOCK ASSEMBLY
NOTE: Access for the nuts attaching the rear shock assembly upper mount to the vehicle is through the inside of the trunk.

Roll back carpeting on top of the rear shock tower to access shock mounting nuts.
Remove plastic cover from the top of the shock assembly.
Remove 2 nuts attaching the shock assembly upper mount/spring seat to the shock tower.
Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
Remove two fasteners holding the splash shield to the shock assembly upper mount.
Remove bolt attaching shock absorber to rear knuckle.
Remove the shock absorber from the rear knuckle first when removing the shock absorber from vehicle by pushing down on the rear suspension.
Move shock assembly downward and tilt top of shock outward, then remove shock assembly from vehicle through top of wheel opening.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
tlgrimard

Originally Posted by master tech
REMOVAL - SHOCK ASSEMBLY
NOTE: Access for the nuts attaching the rear shock assembly upper mount to the vehicle is through the inside of the trunk.

Roll back carpeting on top of the rear shock tower to access shock mounting nuts.
Remove plastic cover from the top of the shock assembly.
Remove 2 nuts attaching the shock assembly upper mount/spring seat to the shock tower.
Raise vehicle on jackstands or centered on a frame contact type hoist.
Remove the rear wheel and tire assembly from the vehicle.
Remove two fasteners holding the splash shield to the shock assembly upper mount.
Remove bolt attaching shock absorber to rear knuckle.
Remove the shock absorber from the rear knuckle first when removing the shock absorber from vehicle by pushing down on the rear suspension.
Move shock assembly downward and tilt top of shock outward, then remove shock assembly from vehicle through top of wheel opening.
Hey Master Tech, what would you recommend to get a rear unit off where the shock itself has separated from the top mount plate (from corrosion it looks like) and is sitting down inside the spring? Can I get a spring compressor up in there with it on the car?
(see thread here)

Old 07-23-2011, 11:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

You would need to remove the shock/strut to use a spring compressor.

Quick Reply: Rear Struts