1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

95’ Dakota 3.9 to 360 swap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 07:59 PM
BTW_DAKOTA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95’ Dakota 3.9 to 360 swap question

I’m under the impression that a 360 will fit the motor mounts of a 3.9 fine and besides the balancing most equipment such as water pump, PS pump, alternator ect will swap along with it.
my question is did different years (such as a 70’s 360 vs a 2001 360) change the block and does it matter how old or new I go with the engine. Also I plan on carb swapping the motor so is that not gonna be an option with a newer 5.9? Are sensors that go along with the computer and EFI such as camshaft position sensor, the fuel pump, ignition switch ect able to be removed and plugged without making the engine in usable? Or do the newer blocks designed to run with computer and sensors NEED then and need to be computerized to work?
mostly curious since It’s obviously smarter to just go older it won’t make much difference to me. However any info is appreciated

Old 03-10-2022, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Quite a bit changed in 93, when Dodge went from the LA engines, to the Magnums. Lifter angle changed, for the roller lifters, and the entire valve train on the heads changed, from shaft mount, to pedestal mount. Oiling for the rockers also changed, along with the angle the intake manifold bolt holes were drilled. Very little will swap from the LA, to the magnum, except.... engine accessories. I don't know if the Magnum brackets will bolt to the LA block..... Best bet is to find a magnum engine to install. That way, you have much better compatibility. You can use one of the older electronic distributor with your carb, and I think the only gauge you will have trouble with is the tach.....

I am not sure about motor mounts on the LA. I have heard they moved for the magnum engine, I have also heard they are the same.....

Old 03-11-2022, 03:00 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I have a 87 Dakota that I swapped a 2000 5.9 in.
In my opinion you would be better off using a 5.9 magnum motor. More plentiful and more power.
If you want a carb ( I did). Just use an edelbrock 7577 intake and any sbm electronic ignition. I used a gm style distributor designed for a sbm.
All of your front accessories will work except the balancer and fan shroud. The balancer has to be balanced for a 5.9 The fan shroud needs to be v8 dakota
You will need a 96 and up 5.9 flywheel or flexplate. Again for balance.
You can wire in a voltage regulator since yours is now in the computer. Not a big deal..... Also you will need a fuel pressure regulator.

But... If I had a 95 3.9, I would look at a complete 5.9 minus front accessories. Then you can add the 2 injector connectors to your existing harness and swap the computer to a 95 5.9 unit.
Good luck and let us know what you do.

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 03-11-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 95’ Dakota 3.9 to 360 swap question