1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Pretty pissed off here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pretty pissed off here...

So, I've got a little more than a day into removing the transmission, and this damn thing is driving me nuts!!
First, the u-joints are all rusted up (which, I don't care that I destroyed them taking them out, I was going to replace them anyways, at least the bolts didn't bust like on my friends Jeep!). And that took quite some time.
Than, the transfer case linkage was all rusted, and took its sweet time to work out (doesn't help that we were trying to disconnect at the rod, and, after like 2 hours, disconnected at the case itself).
Than, the engine-to-transmission strut bolts came out pretty easy. I got to buy myself some racheting wrenches for one of them (I've been waiting for a reason to buy some! Also got to buy a 30mm socket for the transfer case drain/fill plugs, atlike $9 )
The thing that is busting my ***** big time is the fricken cover for the torque convertor bolts (front, bottom of the transmission bell-housing, its just like a thin piece of metal). My friend and I got it to move just enough to see one of the bolts (you can see it about midway up on the passenger side, but can't get to it with any tools). That thing just doesn't want to come all the way off (or, budge any more, for that matter). It appears to be stuck on the left (drivers side) engine-to-trans strut, but doesn't look like it would be the easiest thing to try and cut either.
So, I'm asking for advice on removal (and, installation, because I have a feeling I'll run into some problems here-and-there too, especially that damn cover thing!)
As far as what I have left, "all" I have left is disconnect the shift linkage, torque convertor from the engine, dipstick, crossmember, and than remove it from the block (you know... everything!)

Old 03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
fox
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pretty pissed off here...

Haha haha haahah welcome to my hell sry for the laughing. I went through this for like a day tryin to get that cover off and your right you have lossen or remove theengine-to-trans strut bolt and try and lift the engine forward. When I did mine the damn thing didn't come out till I lifted the engine out[:@]

BTW since your doin this to are u keepin all your engine to tranny bolts in order? I made the mistake of not keepin my in order cause lack of time and now I do know what goes where. So you toke any pictures or color coded them some way be of help to me

good luck

Old 03-08-2008, 06:20 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that sucks... I just pulled my engine/tranny combo out in one peice on my 88.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
OneBadKota
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All it is, is a dust shield. I would cut it off and buy a new one from the dealer for a couple bucks (I did)

Or since you can see one of the bolts, can you get a wrench up there to take it off? If so, just take one bolt out, turn the crank by hand and get them all out. Then just pull it off and deal with the dust shield then.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

Yea, I got the shield moved just barely enough to get the bolts out.

Now, I'm having a problem getting the crossmember out. The bolts came out just fine (amazingly). It will move up and down, forward and aft, but not enough to actually get it out. It looks like the transmission mount has to come out (I'm having problems getting those bolts to bust free), and the crossmember has to move up (a little more than I can get it now), and than kind of tilt it in one direction to get it out.

I'd really rather not try pulling the whole thing out (engine and trans) but, man, I don't know, if thats what it might take... (give me an excuse to replace the engine mounts too!)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

Spray the crossmember bolts with PB Blaster, let them soak for 30-60 minutes. Toss a ratchet on with a breaker bar and have fun. It's how I had to get mine out.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:23 AM
iraqvet
Professional

Doesn't the starter have to be removed to drop the shield? I know some shields loop around the top of the starter and the starter has to be removed to get the shiled out...I don't know about the Dakotas.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 AM
dodgerules86
Champion

Yea, it does. But the starter was already removed (as was the bolt stud... my starters bottom bolt had a solid center section, so half was threaded into the block, the other accomodated the nut to tighten the starter down)
A new shield will be ordered from the stealership today.
Right now I'm having the fun of trying to finalize my order from Summit without forgetting to order something that I want (that I can afford, that is!)

Old 03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

You could do what I did. I cut a little bit by the starter, so once the shield is bolted up, I can fit the other piece in as well and it doesn't move. So, when I need to access my converter bolts, I can just take off the passenger side piece to get to them.

I could get a picture sometime this weekend, if you want. I have to do my torque converter bolts this weekend anyways.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
dodgerules86
Champion

That sounds like a pretty good idea (of course, I don't plan on having to change this transmission out).
My transmission is free from the block, now just gotta get that stupid exhaust pipe outta the way (waiting for my friends dad to get home so I can borrow his Sawz-All to cut the flange bolts just off either exhaust manifold, and *hopefully* the y-pipe and all comes out without too much work, or other "precision cutting" )

Quick Reply: Pretty pissed off here...