1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

front limited slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 AM
fwtc
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front limited slip

i've searched everywhere for a front limited slip and they don't exist. but i did find out that the front diff was not new. they used the rear out of the late 70s early 80s full sized dodge cars (318, 360, magmun, diplomat, etc) and flipped them around, i have not checked it out (limited internet) but i'm sure they must of made limited slips for those dodges. just swap the ring gear and use your pinion and it should work (ratios probably not the same). i think it's a 7.25 or 7.30 ring gear or something like that. whatever it is your ring gear and pinion should bolt right up with minor heat. if you can't set it up then a garage should do it for you on the cheap.
might be hard to find one but if you did and made it work your an original. Like i said i could not find a new one on the net, but they might be there somewhere, if there is let me know, i'm looking for one, but i still think the junkyard is the way to go on this one
front and rear limited slips on a gen one dak, thats nasty.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Front limited slip is not a good idea if you use the truck as a daily driver. A limited slip differential will typically not slip enough in a sharp turn because the difference in rates of the 2 front wheels is greater in a turn than the difference in rates of the rear wheels (and the last thing you want to do half way through a turn is bind up the front wheels). If you really need more traction, put a part-time locker in the front (I have no clue if someone makes one) but my question is where the heck are you driving the truck that would require one? If you have an LSD or locker in the rear, and you have your truck in 4 wheel drive, you'd be very hard pressed to get in a position where a front LSD would be necessary. If you really ever get in a situation where both your back wheels and one of your front wheels has no traction, a winch would be a better investment than a front LSD.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 03-29-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 AM
fwtc
Professional

i don't use it much except to get a few grogeries now and then, but i do use it a lot off road fishing and in the snow. i take the baby through places you would stop on a 4- wheeler and think for a few minuits, but i've also been in some of the most beautiful places on the planet. you can walk for 5 miles and not find a peice of garbage, trash or even a human track, don't get me wrong it's not an easy drive or walk, but it's worth it.
a buddy of mine bought a ford f250 (i think, might have been a 150 but not likely, it was the late 90's) with front and rear limited slips-or lockers, not sure which but it would crawl up a tree. he did not have too many problems on the road, but i'll admit it was a fishing-work rig. up here a 5 mile drive to work is a long way, so we got lottsa off-road.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya a front locker or LSD is unnecessary for most people. I have the rear locker and I've only gotten it stock once due to both front tires lifted off the solid ground. And I take it out all time and pass lots on the trails.

Now once I swore I saw a LSD for the front and I think I saw the Lock-right for it too. But ever where I look now I can't find it.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Here is a list of PDFs with a lot of info about most any differential...
http://differentials.com/pdfs/

There is nothing listed for the 7.25 as far as lockers go (but the list does not seem to include any LSDs)

I still say even if someone does make one, put the money toward a winch cause if you get stuck with 3 driven wheels, chances are a 4th won't pull you out.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 03-29-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:09 AM
fwtc
Professional

probably right guys, just puttin it out there in case anyone is interested. good to know if you decide to do that " TRUCKS " rock climbing stuff on spike.

got a question for ya guys, i have a lot of off-road and deep back woods fishin vids, pictures, (lived in the woods for 3 months) how can i post it here?

Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

as far as the videos go, stick them on youtube and post the links

as far as the pictures go, use a site like photobucket or somthing similar to host them and just copy/paste them into a thread.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 AM
fwtc
Professional

thanks guys! i'm a bit computer illerate. i spend most of my year in places that doesn't have the net (on a lake in the woods) i'm 46 so i didn't grow up with computers, so i really like to thank you guys for all your help.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Youtube is the best for videos. And post up the link. Supposable they added this new feature to our site. If you just post the link it will post up the video in the post. I'm going try on this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAAtHZJ5XQ

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 03-29-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Ill watch it now and test it!

EDIT: Nice lookin truck Crazy

Quick Reply: front limited slip