1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota "High school project truck" questions...LOTS OF EM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
totman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota "High school project truck" questions...LOTS OF EM!

I recently purchased a 92 Dakota that used to be a company truck. Its in great condition for what I paid($350). It has around 140k miles on it, little rust, A/C works, 8ft bed, and it starts right up. The main reason I purchased the Dakota is for a "project truck". I'm a junior in High school and spend 3 hours of my day in the schools auto shop.

Now for what it needs - The brakes need repairing, the rear Tranny seal should be replaced, needs new plugs, and the shifting lever is not correct(When I put it in "D" it acts like its in "N", when I put it in "2" it acts like its "D". IT PISSES ME OFF!). After all that is done I can do body work and extras. My question is - What can I do to it? I really want to lift it like 2" but I heard its not easy because its only 2wd. How difficult is it? Could I just get bigger shocks to make it look bigger? I would also like to push more Horse power out of it, what can I do to give her more power(within reason, I'm in High school remember)? What are my options for exhaust(LOUD)?

I know its only a little 2wd Dakota and should be left stock but I want to make this truck as big, loud, and noticable as possible. Any questions, comments, or concerns are welcome.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
skyshark186
Captain

I would spend some time reading through treads on the forum. A lot of what youve asked has been gone over many times(all of us do it, not harping on ya just telling you). You can check the FAQ and FAQ 2(lift ideas) and learn a lot about the truck.

The shifter issue is most likely the copper wire they use to pull the selector over. Take apart the surround on your console and youll see it on the left upper side closest to the dash panel. A little tightening or loosening will fix your issue. Just be very careful, as the stuff gets brittle with age and breaks easily.

Brakes shouldnt be too hard. Even if your doing drums and rotors with the front being a 2wd that makes it nice and simple.

Its not my thing to be loud, or have a big 2wd, but if thats what you want you have lots of options. Replacing your muffler with a glass pack will make it louder. A 2" body lift is easy and cheap, but according to what I read youll need to cut your steering shaft and lengthen it 2". No big deal if you have welding supplies available at your school like I did.

Again....spend some time reading through the posts here, and if you want more specific help there is a weath of knowledge here.

Also if you want "power" help you need to post up what motor you have.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:17 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything skyshark said except one thing. I would not mess with the copper wire that controls the needle, I would crawl under the truck and adjust the shifter lever. Here is a diagram of the shifting mechanism. Loosen the "Swivel" which is the peice below the spring in the part labled "Front shift rod, spring, and swivel" and raise or lower it as needed. Its trial and error so mess with it til you get it right.

ColumnShifter.jpg?t=1252250006

Just like asked above, what motor do you have. The v8 has the biggest aftermarket for performance parts, but if it was a company truck, chances are it was the v6. If it is the v6, a v8 swap will give you the most power increase for your money.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 09-30-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 AM
skyshark186
Captain

Could be that too. The retaining bolt may have come loose and dropped all the way to the bottom.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 PM
totman
Rookie

Thanks for the replies! The Dakota has a V6. I'll keep reading thru the FAQs.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 PM
totman
Rookie

So my dad has talked me out of lifting it. He suggested I just put bigger tires on the back. Whats the biggest size tires I can fit on the back?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by totman
So my dad has talked me out of lifting it. He suggested I just put bigger tires on the back. Whats the biggest size tires I can fit on the back?
I can't remember off hand but you can check the FAQ2 in this section for the info. Also for lift you can do the body lift, Very easy! Or you can add coil spring spacers, Very cheep.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
totman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
you can do the body lift, Very easy! Or you can add coil spring spacers, Very cheep.
Without heavy modification? My dad doesnt want me cutting the steering to lengthen it, he said its an unnecassary risk....... ugh, dads these days....

Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Coil spring spacers don't require anything major. Just remove th coils and install the spacers on top and the bottom and reinstall the coils.

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota "High school project truck" questions...LOTS OF EM!