1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Winter Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Time

Since winters here and that theres a good sized snow storm schedualed to be hitting on wednesday (At least for us in Northern Il) i want to know what you all think should be done especially for us 2WD truck guys, so far ive gotten 7 70pound bags of sand (490Pounds) and the spare full size wheel in the back, you think thats enough weight to keep the rearend from slippen around to much on the street? as long as i drive it as it should be durring the winter time, my tires also are pretty good tires meant for all terrains, I think there Kelly Safari Trex's but i havnt looked at the sides for awhile

Old 12-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't forget to keep a good shovel in the back incase you have to dig out some snow to get to solid ground. And you could lower your tire pressure some. If your tire likes 35 try 25. Just remember to fill it back up if you go high speeds. Tire chains are always nice to have. A locker, LSD would help too.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Don't forget to keep a good shovel in the back incase you have to dig out some snow to get to solid ground. And you could lower your tire pressure some. If your tire likes 35 try 25. Just remember to fill it back up if you go high speeds. Tire chains are always nice to have. A locker, LSD would help too.
I think the tires are allready around 30 though durring the summer at least when we aired them up we had them at 35, Tire chains arnt allowed on the streets (at least here) If i have an LSD which i hope i do its worn out

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Bump
Veteran

Shovel and a tow strap. I ALWAYS have one in my truck, but it has always been to help out guys like you!

Keep in mind that sand bags can be a double edged sword. You now have all that extra mass that you are not used to which can errect your stopping distance a little, but more over will make a "tail slide" more drastic as there is more mass to "throw around" back there.

Not trying to scare you but I've seen them go though windows during roll overs too!

Best thing is slow (Im from ND... I have had my share of snow and cold!) if you'r not sure whether you can get through, so slow. you may get stuck, but you will be able to back out of it and try again. If you hammer into it like a mad man.... while it maybe fun, you will stick your self to a point that you need help getting out.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
skyshark186
Captain

Ive done tests on 4 different small, mid size, full size, and suv's and I havent had 1 indication that sand bags to crap but make you work to put them in and out. If any thing by the time you get enough of them in to do anything your making things worse.

Like above, driving carefully is your best friend. Ive got 2 trucks that are full time 4x4(96 cruiser that is all the time, and a 92 jeep that I can put in 2wd or full time 4/4hi/4lo) The traction difference is astounding on snow. Trust me, weve got about a foot right now. Ive been playing around all week. The point is, in 2wd in my jeep with good 31" all terrains I have NOTHING for traction if Im on a slope or its minorly icy. No amount of weight would change that. Plan your routes to avoid stopping on uphill slopes, even small ones. Letting your truck idle off a stop will help you get started, then you can gradually ease into acceleration. Anything else will just make you spin your tires.

I wouldnt drive a rear wheel drive in deep fresh snow. Sorry man, but your risking a lot going out in that. Think of every moron who doesnt know how to drive in it all out at once "playing", and your lack of the ability to avoid them quickly. Its dangerous. Most the accidents I see are relatively low speed slides, but they still do a ton of damage. Avoid unnecessary trips, and drive very carefully. It may well save your truck.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
myfirstruckdak93
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Eastern Iowa there was 1-2" of fresh snow that fell Monday morning and I thought I was prepared with 140 pounds of sandbags on each wheel, and new all terain tires, but i thought wrong. I felt no comfort in driving on the local residential steets. And there was another 6" of snow dumped on us today, so I might take my truck to an empty parking lot to see what my limits are without risking some damage.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Bump
Veteran

Be careful. Parking lots have poles.

And you will probably get stopped and given a "care required" by the local PD. Been there... got one.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bump187
Shovel and a tow strap. I ALWAYS have one in my truck, but it has always been to help out guys like you!

Keep in mind that sand bags can be a double edged sword. You now have all that extra mass that you are not used to which can errect your stopping distance a little, but more over will make a "tail slide" more drastic as there is more mass to "throw around" back there.Not trying to scare you but I've seen them go though windows during roll overs too!
I did have a shovel with me today, and i know what your talking about with sandbags being double edged, but the same could happen even with out them in the back, especially if your goin up an icy hill in 2WD while goin slow

Originally Posted by bump187

Best thing is slow (Im from ND... I have had my share of snow and cold!) if you'r not sure whether you can get through, so slow. you may get stuck, but you will be able to back out of it and try again. If you hammer into it like a mad man.... while it maybe fun, you will stick your self to a point that you need help getting out.
You make it sound like i dont know how to drive thrue the snow lol, ive know how to drive in it for a few years at least, its just that ive never driven in it with the Dakota, only a front wheel drive mini van and my moms Liberty witch has full time 4X4

Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Blue 12
Professional

get rid of wide tires. after i solve my brake problem im getting smaller tires. the 325 85 R16s really suck on the road if its icy. ill be looking for something about 7-8 in wide instead of 12.5. spun out twice going slow

Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Bump
Veteran

Yep. Wide tires are for mud and sand. Tall and narrow for snow.

Quick Reply: Winter Time