1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1988 dakota gas and oil questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 PM
thurat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 1988 dakota gas and oil questions.

Hello everyone,
I am the proud owner of a 1988 Dodge Dakota with the original 3.9L V6 and 4 speed with overdrive manual transmission. There are a couple of little things going on that I am hoping to get some advise on. First off at my last oil change (yes I broke down and let someone else do it and that went very bad.) the guy at valvoline said that there was water in my transmission oil. I have not a clue how water could have go in there so I was hoping one of you might. Going along with that I need to go ahead and change that oil and the information I have found says that it uses 10w-30 GEAR oil. When I check with autozone they say that they do not care 10w-30 gear oil, but to use engine oil. That does not seem right to me as engine oil has additives that gear oil doesn't, so what alternatives might I use? Or where might I find a 10w-30 gear oil, or might that not be the correct oil after all?

Next up, I would like to convert to be able to use E85. Does anyone see any possible problems with this? What all would have to be done? Is there anything I might damage by doing so? Mostly I would like to use it because around here I can get it for like 30 cents cheaper per gallon than straight gas, but if it is going to cause problems then I shouldn't do it. I'm not even sure where to get the parts or what parts would need to be changed. I need to find enough info to make a good cost/benefit analysis on this issue.

Thank you very much for you input.

Take care,
Bruce

Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF!

95 318SLT will be the pest person to answer your transmission question. Ever since he swapped one in, he has become the sites manual transmission expert!! ;P

As for the E85 I'm not to familiar what is required to to convert one. But www.google.com will have tons of sites. Maybe someone will be able to help you with that.

WOW 4,000 Posts!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 AM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was havin the same issue findin the proper fluid. I put a 10-30 synthetic in my trans after several people here agreed it was the correct fluid.it takes 2 quarts. when I did the change the fluid drained was slightly red someone before me used either tranny fluid orgear oil and guess what my tranny is a lil crunchy in 3rd so maybe watever was in it before wasn't nice to it so I'd stick with Synthetic oil that seems to be the norm.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 AM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was havin the same issue findin the proper fluid. I put a 10-30 synthetic in my trans after several people here agreed it was the correct fluid.it takes 2 quarts. when I did the change the fluid drained was slightly red someone before me used either tranny fluid orgear oil and guess what my tranny is a lil crunchy in 3rd so maybe watever was in it before wasn't nice to it so I'd stick with Synthetic oil that seems to be the norm.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Applehugger
Rookie

I would not recommend running your truck on E85. You may save a bit at the fill up, but E85 gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. Typically 25-30% worse, with a corresponding drop in power. This is because E85 has far less energy per gallon when compared to regular gas. Additionally, it only reduces so called, "greenhouse gas" emissions by 10%. Do the math, you're burning 30% more gas, so the environmental effect is negligible (not sure if you're really concerned about that, but I thought it worth mentioning.)

Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 AM
thurat

Thank you for the input so far. After a little more research on my part I'm thinking that you guys are right about E85, not really the right thing for a truck like mine. I am wondering if a gallon or two once or twice a month might not be a bad idea in the winter as a drying agent. What do you think? Most dry outs are Isopropol so ETOH should do the job as well right?

Has anyone tried the AMSOil Synchromesh Manual Transmission fluid? I found it during research last night and am wondering does it really work well and is it compatable with my tranny? I was thinking if I couldn't find anything else to use Mobil1 full synthetic. I know it is (or at least was) the only on the shelf true synthetic left since the goverment let them start listing "type 3" oils as synthetic, but they break down and have the same additives that regular/conventanal oil has.

Thank you again for your input,
Bruce

Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the nv2500 (a535) uses 10W-30 synthetic engine oil. You don't want the additives that are in GL-5 gear oil because they will eat your syncros.

If that AMSoil fluid has a weight of 10W-30, it might be able to be used. Your best bet there is to call or email AMSoil and ask them... they know their products well. Honestly though, your transmission calls for motor oil, so use motor oil. The worst thing you can do to your transmission is run the wrong fluid in it.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 01-26-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
thurat

So is the 4 speed w/OD Transmission for an '88 dakota the NV3500? How do I find out for sure what transmission is in it? While I'm at it what rear end differental should it have? How can I find out for sure? Here is what I got from the AmSoil site when I looked up my truck: http://alturl.com/9u5d

Thank you again for your great input. It really helps.

Bruce

Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh wait, no, thats a typo. Its the NV2500 or NP a535... same thing. It was the only manual transmission used in your year Dakota. And its a 5 speed, not a 4 speed with OD.

You either have the chrysler 7.25 inch or chrysler 8.25 inch. Go here to find out:

http://differentials.com/pdfs/45.pdf

Quick Reply: 1988 dakota gas and oil questions.