1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 PM
ravager
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Dakota Transfer Case

Hello everyone I have a 92 Dak 4x4 3.9 Auto, Extended cab . I apparently broke my something inside the case .( sounds like the chain ) . I know It's possible to rebuild it ...however ...a friend of mine has a case out of 91 dak ,3.9 4x4 auto regular cab . It was rebuilt last year and for $200 it makes sense to use this case if it will work ( which I think it will ). Can anyone confirm this one way or the other ? My other question is .....the truck that the replacement is coming from doesn't have a frame cross member underneath the case...which makes it real easy to pull out ..however my truck does have one . Is there a trick to gettin the old case out and new one in ? Unfortunately the member is welded quite solidly to the frame rails . Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Happy Easter!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it will work. Dodge only used 1 transfer case in these trucks from '88 to '96.

Are you talking about the torsion bar mount crossmemeber? If so, both of ya'lls trucks should have one!

Anyway, the transfer case really doesn't weigh much... about 75 lbs. So if you can bench 75 lbs, you can lay on your back and get it down. All you have to do is unhook the wires and vacuum lines, shift linkage, unbolt both driveshafts and unbolt the nuts on the 6 studs coming out of the case going into the back of the transmission. Very easy to do!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
ravager

Yea it is the torsion bar cross member . Good call! And why he wouldn't have one ...I dunno . Perhaps I missed understood him or those parts were already cut off the vehicle before he ever got to the transfer case .Or maybe the extra cab makes a difference in cross member location. I dunno . So ...the cone of the transfer case sticks over the cross member by several inches and the bottom of the case is maybe one inch away from the cross member . As I understand ...the transfer case has to slide back a few inches . If I angle the case upwards at the back ...to get over the bottom lip of the cross member rail ...i''ll only have 2 inches at best to slide the case back . Is that far enough to get it to wiggle out? Especially since it's so close to the cross member / trans and it's impossible to pull it straight down or straight out the back ? I just don't want to start pullin it only to find out it won't drop . lol . That would ruin my day lol . Thanks man much appreciated

Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need to remove, or move, anything that is not directly bolted or connected directly to the transfer case.
When replacing it, there is 0 issue with any crossmembers. The hardest part was getting to the top mount bolt.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 PM
DukeSupes
Captain

I would recommend having another pair of hands or at least a jack stand to help support it while you try and orientate the transfer case. Just getting that first bolt started while trying to hold it in place is a hell of a work out.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a little fun.
But, I was able to do it, hands only to lift in place. I'm 6' 3", 160 lbs, so I'm not exactly built, haha.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
DukeSupes
Captain

I was able to as well. I was just saying that it would have made things a lot easier.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DukeSupes
I would recommend having another pair of hands or at least a jack stand to help support it while you try and orientate the transfer case. Just getting that first bolt started while trying to hold it in place is a hell of a work out.
I didn't have to start the first bolt (actually a nut) while holding it! It has 6 studs on it, so just hang it on the back of the transmission and let go! Unless you're parked on a rediculous incline, it will stay put! Then you have both hands free to thread the nuts on the studs.

But yes, the top was is a PITA! Its much easier with a 2 inch body lift though! :P

Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

When I did mine, it was fairly easy...just make sure your input shaft lengths are the same...

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota Transfer Case