1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

what are your plans for your trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Auron
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are your plans for your trucks

mine are extending the frame 6x6 with a 4bta and a 93 dodge 5 speed axle swaps and mack truck suspention it will be the dakota version of this dodge ram

what about you guys

Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To get it back on the road some day with a solid front axle and 37s... cause my project doesn't seem to have any light at the end of the tunnel.

This week I broke my toe with the transmission crossmember I've been working on building (don't work with large pieces of metal wearing sandals...) and my welder broke again while I was trying to fill in the frame.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-07-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trying to get my truck back on the road too. its been 4 months without a car and its slowely driving me insane....

Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My recent plans are to get it back on the road too. LOL

Well mine has only been down a few days.

It all started with replacing the steering center link. The pitman arm hole was stretch at the top and that what was causing excessive play in the steering wheel. So I got a nice junkyard replacement. I installed the new one.

While under the hood I noticed the CV axle boot was ripped and grease everywhere. So it sat one more day with out wheels on. I installed the new boot and reinstalled the CV axle.

Next I noticed the brake pads were extremely low. Very close to the metal on the outsides, on the insides were just like new (really thick). I believe it is calipers sticking. So again 2 more days without the tires on till I can install the new brakes and rotors and bleed the system.

And you know what the best part of all of this? I have a 2nd vechicle so the down time doesn't matter anymore. Before when the truck was the Daily Driver I would have to squeeze it all in 1 day and probably night too.

When done I will check on the rear brakes too, who knows if that will be 1 more day!

Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Bump
Veteran

My plans are to make mine a tough, go through anything type of truck... I saw this movie and would like to make it like the toyotas in this picture... not quite that extreme though, and not with the military/weaponry empahsis... I just like all the body protection it has and all the "gizmos" I still havent taken duallies off the table either...

Last edited by Bump; 05-08-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Auron
Veteran

nice, in the short term i got some hood pins to replace the outside latch im going to keep the hood latch lock thing that is in the cab so random people cant get into my engine bay

Old 05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Next I noticed the brake pads were extremely low. Very close to the metal on the outsides, on the insides were just like new (really thick). I believe it is calipers sticking. So again 2 more days without the tires on till I can install the new brakes and rotors and bleed the system.

And you know what the best part of all of this? I have a 2nd vechicle so the down time doesn't matter anymore. Before when the truck was the Daily Driver I would have to squeeze it all in 1 day and probably night too.

When done I will check on the rear brakes too, who knows if that will be 1 more day!
Check the caliper sliders. If the outer pad is worn more than the inner, usually you have stiff or frozen slider's. And amen to having a second vehicle. Makes the down time a lot less stressful.
As for plans for the '93, I want to add some nerf bars to the sides to compliment the grill guard. I also have a set of stock 16x8's I'm going to eventually put on when the 15's wear out. Also Paint is definately in the plans.

Last edited by JDakota92; 05-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Auron
Veteran

my hood pins are in new 30" tires tomorrow should i keep the camper my gf's older brother had a truck like mine and his camper came off on the highway

Quick Reply: what are your plans for your trucks