1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Battery cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery cables

It's about time for me to replace the battery cables on the truck. Lately, when I'm driving down the road, my check engine light will come on and my battery meter will start spazzing out. If I try and start the truck, no go. I have to loosen the positive connector, wiggle it, and then tighten it and it will start. It has been good for a few days until now.

I took a look under the hood, and it would seem simple enough replacing a battery cable, but I have a question. I know how to trace cabled, I'm not stupid. I traced the cable to 3 different points and there's a special 2 pin plastic connector at the end of one of these splits. Is there anywhere (other than the dealer) I can buy a stock cable for this truck?

I'd rather avoid the dealer because they'll be expensive. They wanted $600 for the female seatbelt connector latch. I know I can cut and splice wires, but I'd like to avoid that. If I cant buy the cable with these connectors, then I'll just have to cut and splice.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try moparpartsamerica.com

The part number for the positive cable, for 1994, is 5600 7291 (it comes up as 1991, but the parts manual lists that part number)
The above site has it listed for $107.

You might just be better off cutting and splicing though, that's what I did with mine.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
You can try moparpartsamerica.com

The part number for the positive cable, for 1994, is 5600 7291 (it comes up as 1991, but the parts manual lists that part number)
The above site has it listed for $107.

You might just be better off cutting and splicing though, that's what I did with mine.

Yeah, for that price I'll cut and splice my own. I'd even rather touch the cables to my sideburns while still attached to the battery.

Does anyone know how long the cable is? If I recall, don't they only come in 3 feet, 6 feet, and 12 foot lengths?

Old 03-20-2011, 02:01 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If your cables are fine just replace the terminal end.

Just cut the terminal off and strip back the insulation and mount them up in a terminal like this one.

Or crimp on some tabs on the cable ends like these and mount them on a terminal like this one. This is how I have it.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 AM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
If your cables are fine just replace the terminal end.

Just cut the terminal off and strip back the insulation and mount them up in a terminal like this one.

Or crimp on some tabs on the cable ends like these and mount them on a terminal like this one. This is how I have it.

The negative cable is fine, but the positive cable really looks like it needs replaced. The shielding has been gouged in numerous spots, so there's exposed wiring, and I don't suspect the terminal ends are the problem, as I completely took the positive one off and cleaned it. That's sort of what started this whole thing. It has a good and tight connection with the battery and it's not all corroded. But it still acts like there's a bad connection.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:42 AM
festerw
Veteran

Hit up Home Depot and you can purchase heavier gauge wiring by the foot. Welding cable works well.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya welding wire works too. Autozone as well as many other autoparts stores have replacement wires. Most are universal just bring in your old one and match it as close as you can. Its worth a shot.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
93dak4x4
Professional

Probably not the problem but, is the battery terminal loose and wiggly? I have seen where people pry the terminal off and break the battery inside. That would account for the problem you are having.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

you talking about the 2 quick disconnects the dealer put on to take the battery out one was black and other is white?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
DupermanDave
Rookie

Originally Posted by 93dak4x4
Probably not the problem but, is the battery terminal loose and wiggly? I have seen where people pry the terminal off and break the battery inside. That would account for the problem you are having.
No. I've seen that in the past with my brother's geo metro, but the terminal isn't loose. I ended up buying a new cable, but I had to get it at WalMart. Checker/OReily and Autozone didn't have the ones in my size and gauge.

Quick Reply: Battery cables