1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Quad Beam Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 AM
vovka2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad Beam Lights?

I hate how my dodge has only single beam when you turn on high beam. it shoots far ahead, but less visibility closer up. Plus with the headlights going yellow, the light output sucks. I heard of people doing the Quad Beam Mod. Was wondering if any of you done it. Its when you have all 4 beams on when High is engaged. It would be really nice if on high beams both high and low would be on. Anyone?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What year truck you working on? I can move this to the proper section.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
vovka2007

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
What year truck you working on? I can move this to the proper section.
First Gen, yr 95

Old 04-09-2011, 11:21 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just hold the the switch between turning off the high beams and going back to low, the only issue is i have bad voltage drops when doing this. but then again, i have to deal with them all the time.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 AM
festerw
Veteran

It could be done with 2 relays to take the load off of the switch.

Relay 1
30 - Fused 12 V from the battery
85 - Ground
86 - Existing parking lamp wire
87 - Output to Low beam headlamp side
87a - Unused

Relay 2
30 - Fused 12 V from battery +
85 - Ground
86 - High beam wire switch side
87 - High beam wire headlamp side
87a - Unused

This will have 1 side effect, your low beams will always be on with the parking lamps as you'll be using the parking lamps as a trigger for the low beams.

I did it this way because it's the simplest and requires the least amount of relays. To do it using the low beam wire as a trigger would require 2 more relays and at that point you may as well get a cheap HID system because the cost would end up being the same.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

i left the low beams alone in myne and let the switch handle it. it's not a huge load. for buring all elements what i did was cut the high beam wire and use the switch side to fire the relay then the output went to the lows. same load on the switch as before. you can use a second relay to run the high beams if you want no load (1-2 amps at most) on the switch. or if your comfy with electrical work and want to limit the relays to just one or to you could use a clamping diode so that power from the low beams can't power the high beams but when you switch to high beams the power would pass easily through the diode. i prefer to just add driving lights and fire them and the high beams with a relay switched by the switch itself. easy to do cost effective and you have a back up if your added lights fail for some reason. just switch back to lows. i ran new grounds for myne when i put in the driving lights and it's considerably brighter than high and low at the same time. also i'd polish the lenses if i were you.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 AM
vovka2007

Originally Posted by 9652dakota
i left the low beams alone in myne and let the switch handle it. it's not a huge load. for buring all elements what i did was cut the high beam wire and use the switch side to fire the relay then the output went to the lows. same load on the switch as before. you can use a second relay to run the high beams if you want no load (1-2 amps at most) on the switch. or if your comfy with electrical work and want to limit the relays to just one or to you could use a clamping diode so that power from the low beams can't power the high beams but when you switch to high beams the power would pass easily through the diode. i prefer to just add driving lights and fire them and the high beams with a relay switched by the switch itself. easy to do cost effective and you have a back up if your added lights fail for some reason. just switch back to lows. i ran new grounds for myne when i put in the driving lights and it's considerably brighter than high and low at the same time. also i'd polish the lenses if i were you.

I tried polishing the lenses. Still yellow, probably from inside. I do have extra decent foglights that i put in. But i'd still like to do a quad light as its nice when high shoot far and you have lows that shoot closer and lower at same time.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

great thing unless you live by the ocean, then your just lighting up more fog. had 4x100 watts on the roof, 2x50 watts (fog) on the bush guard and spent most of my time driving with my low beams on.
when i didn't you can see what happened. (mazda 7475, Pictures, oops)

Quick Reply: Quad Beam Lights?