1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota no start solved because of info here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 PM
manyhobbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 95 Dakota no start solved because of info here!

Hello

I just joined this site to let you guys know that I solved a "no start/stall" on a 95 Dakota.

I responed to a plee to help a single mom who was job less and looking but with a dead truck.

Before reading the info on this forum I thought I had solved the problem being a bad fuel pump. Well after fighting rusted fasteners on the fuel tank and having drained most of a full tank of fuel, replacing the pump and still no start.

I felt really bad! The $$ for the pump had been given by another person and it wasn't the cause of the truck not running! The plus side is that she now has a working fuel gage!

Well, I found this site and read about the 3-1 wire splice that failes and knew I had the answer!

Here's a pic after I got the harness opened. Sorry not the best focus! You can see the crimp that was used to bind the wires together off to the left and the other 3 wires towards the upper center.

Thanks for the well laid out site. This might be my only post as I don't own a Dakota, but I just couldn't let things go without saying thanks!

Attached Thumbnails 95 Dakota no start solved because of info here!-dsc00033-1-.jpg  

Last edited by manyhobbies; 05-27-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! I'm glad it was a easy fix. Thanks for the positive comments about the site.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Pretty cool that you got it going, by the sound of all the rust, etc. it was probably not a bad thing to change the fuel pump.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
manyhobbies
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Cool! I'm glad it was a easy fix. Thanks for the positive comments about the site.
You're welcome! It's nice to be able to gain knowledge from others!

Originally Posted by dobaroy
Pretty cool that you got it going, by the sound of all the rust, etc. it was probably not a bad thing to change the fuel pump.
I could tell that this wasn't the orginal pump...some of the nubs one the big nut were broken off... did I mention that she now has a working fuel gauge?

Now that I've looked the site over, I might stick around. I do own a 1985 D350 360 SnowCommander...... I've been thinking about putting some sort of a locking dif. in it. But that's a different page.

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:08 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

What the heck is a SnowCommander?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

my fuel pump went about 6 months after the gauge started acting up, i read in this forum other daks having the same problem. it was not a waste changing the pump, you killed two birds with one stone.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:41 PM
festerw
Veteran

It was a package offered on the older trucks that included a factory installed Meyer snow plow and a few other goodies.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 PM
manyhobbies
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by festerw
It was a package offered on the older trucks that included a factory installed Meyer snow plow and a few other goodies.
Great answer festerw!

I was incorrect on the syntax on the name of the truck....it should have been "Sno-Commander". I hadn't looked at the graphics for a while that are on the truck.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM
manyhobbies

Okay.....got the call I didn't want to get! The Dakota is in the no start mode again! I believe there isn't any spark or fuel. What else could it be? I've got her checking the fix I did to the 3-1 splice....(haven't heard back) ..... I rather doubt that my fix failed....but want to make sure.

Input requested.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota no start solved because of info here!