1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Poor Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Fuel Mileage

So for the past few weeks my trucks mileage went from what it should got stock to hooped.
I've done two things hoping it would help. Swapped in some fresh oil since my current oil had a zinc additive in it which I figured thinned it out to much over time. Secondly my rad was a little low on fluid so I topped that off and as the guage reads my truck is running cooler for sure.

But that didn't fix my issue on my mileage.
I'm looking for suggestions on things that could be either on their way out the door or already there but haven't thrown my CEL.

My first thought is my O2 Sensor honestly but I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated since I cannot afford to have the truck burning so much gas just before the big family hunt and me actually inbetween a job change.

thanks guys

Old 09-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes the O2 could be one culprit. I'm not to sure if you did a FULL tune up lately but that could help. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor change all filters and all fluids.

The best thing is go easy on the throttle. LOL like that is easy to do with our trucks.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:56 PM
9652dakota
Veteran

easy on the throttle? wth are you talking about? i like it wtfo
on the serius side of things check and see if the plenum gasket is blown or if the pcv valve is hung up. two other possible culprits.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
g. man
Veteran

You say it hasn't thrown a CEL, but did you check for codes? When my o2 sensor went out, I didn't get a CEL, but had codes stored pointing me in the right direction.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

I'm only hard on the throttle on the hills
but no I'm not crazy on the throttle so I don't believe thats the culprit.

As for the tune up the only thing I didn't change when I did my starting components was the Cap and rotor. Fluids are all good filters should be also.
I'm stopping by my dode dealer tomorrow on my day off to see if they can check me for some codes.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM
g. man
Veteran

I'm stopping by my dode dealer tomorrow on my day off to see if they can check me for some codes.
It only takes a min. to do it yourself, even if your OBD11 right? There's just a different list of codes. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

I'm completely aware that its easy enough.
But the guys at my dodge dealership have been nothing but good to me. So if I'm gonna get it checked I'd like to do it there and get their input if I get anything that I don't fully understand. They deserve that much from the amount of pain, money, and hassle they have saved me while I've been repairing and planning this truck out.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Just to throw this out here the gas gauge float may actually end up being the culprit.
Did a fill up today so I could have a fresh start on my count. So after doing the math from my distance and amount filled I was pretty close to what I should have had. But that was guess work mostly. Either way I'm getting a read on the codes to settle my mind.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
g. man
Veteran

Any help is appreciated since I cannot afford to have the truck burning so much gas just before the big family hunt and me actually inbetween a job change.
I'm completely aware that its easy enough.
I was not completely aware that you were completely aware. I was just trying to help you get to the solution. If you have the time and money to have a stealer-ship diagnose it then more power to ya.

Just to throw this out here the gas gauge float may actually end up being the culprit.
How could the float have anything to do with it? You don't need a working gas gauge to check your fuel mileage. You just divide the number of miles by the number of gallons.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM
scrappy2686
Rookie

depending on the year and model i have an 88 with a 21 gallon tank so just fill completely up and grab a five gallon can and fill it up drive your truck till your completely out of gas and you should get a good number

Quick Reply: Poor Fuel Mileage