1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No change in shaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 AM
1stG92
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No change in shaking

92 3.9 2wd LE

What I thought was the rear end going turns into being false.Good news but,violent shake still present.This is costing me more time than money but TOO MUCH time.I just have no idea where to look next.I guess my question would be now,Would a bad transmission make my truck shake like it is?I cant even get a block away before it starts in.Yesterday after checking rear end I took it for a short drive and felt the shake start almost immediately as I took off and got worse as I kept going.I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this issue with their Dakota?Here is a list of things I've looked at..Suspension,ball joints,u-joints,tires,rear end.Having the drive shaft and transmission checked today.I have never had a transmission make a vehicle act like this before but Im no transmission guy so..... Although I have changed both u-joints and drive shaft seemed fine.This truck is in too nice a shape to give up on but if I don't find the issue soon I'll be forced to sell it for parts...ANY information you guys have to help save this little beast is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Spire
Amateur

Does the shake start at a certain speed and if so what speed? Are there any noises that are associated with the shaking? Does the shaking seem to come from a certain part of the truck?

Last edited by Spire; 10-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:52 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you hit any curbs lately? a bulged tire can shake the truck pretty bad depending on the bulge. another thing to check would be wheel bearrings in the front. like Spire asked, is it speed related? does the temperature outside make a difference?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
dobaroy
Veteran

Start the truck up, put the gear shift in neutral. Then rev the motor and see if the vibration is there or not. Put your hand on the steering wheel and see if you feel the vibration.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 PM
1stG92
Professional

Thanks for the fast response guys.first I did check all the bearings and they are fine and tires look good also.I dont hear any noises and vibration is from any speed,gets worse the faster you go.Seems to get the worse soon as it shifts into second gear.This is why I asked if it could be tranny related..Soon as it shifts into second THATS when ya cant even drive anymore.Truck violently ans I do mean VIOLENTLY shakes.Theres nothing sitting in neutral.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM
1stG92
Professional

Originally Posted by 1993v8DakotaSport
have you hit any curbs lately? a bulged tire can shake the truck pretty bad depending on the bulge. another thing to check would be wheel bearrings in the front. like Spire asked, is it speed related? does the temperature outside make a difference?

Temp doesnt make a difference..

Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the transmission mount. its another possibility i suppose, short of that, I'm stumped o.O

Old 10-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Put the rear end up on blocks, get a buddy to accelerate until it hits second and watch underneath. Sounds like a bent drive shaft. If it's bent, you'll see it when its on blocks.

If it was internal to the transmission, the way you're describing it, you would be short a few litres of tranny fluid and a good chunk of cast iron if you drove it.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:18 AM
1stG92
Professional

Originally Posted by 1993v8DakotaSport
have you checked the transmission mount. its another possibility i suppose, short of that, I'm stumped o.O
Yes,checked both tranny and motor mounts.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 AM
1stG92
Professional

Originally Posted by Xxaler
Put the rear end up on blocks, get a buddy to accelerate until it hits second and watch underneath. Sounds like a bent drive shaft. If it's bent, you'll see it when its on blocks.

If it was internal to the transmission, the way you're describing it, you would be short a few litres of tranny fluid and a good chunk of cast iron if you drove it.
I have had it on blocks and a question I had asked myself was should I be able to spin the tires with the tranny in PARK? I know other vehicles I've had and worked on I couldn't.Had my dad start and put in gear and he did rev a little was fine for a few seconds then started "shuttering" a little while just in idle with the tires spinning.The tires slowed right down and seemed to be "Jammed".Trying to give words to best describe it.Almost seemed as if it were catching or something on the teeth in the rear end.But looked fine.Then again,not sure what I'm looking for lol.I'll try blocking again as you said and have him accelerate into second....TY

Quick Reply: No change in shaking