1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Open Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Air Filter

saw a Specture open air filter at pepboys for 20 some dollars and was wonderin if a 14x3 would fit onto the throttle body and what i would do with the hose comin of of the valve cover on the drivers side? would i have to rig up a place to put it on the open air filter? Looked around at a couple of threads before but really wasnt understandin what they had done. could i just pull the hose off or would that cause any problems

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain

I've seen some open air filters that still had places for the hose on the bottom half of the lid thing haha other than that I think theres little breathers that can replace the hose entirely.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

The Edelbrock I put on my truck had a indented space on the bottom plate where you had to drill out and bolt on the hose receiver which it came with.
The eddie I put onto my truck was a 14x3 I believe
I think I paid about 40$ for this set up.
The only issues I had with it were I need a spacer so it would mount properly without gaps. And the hose you're talking about needed to be smaller to fit inside it/Newer so it stretched better/bigger so it slid over. I went with sliding a smaller tube into my existing one as a cheap fix and its worked fine ever since. I'll post some pictures after I get home from work since I don't have time to do it right now.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
will4557
Veteran

Yes I have a 14x3 on mine and I have what is called a breather filter or crankcase breather in the grommet on the valve cover. They also sell them at the part store and are fairly cheap also.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

for the guys who have put the open filter, have you noticed any increases in performance or mpg. the only thing holdin me back from buying that set up is that it is suckin in hot air instead of the stock set up which takes in fresh air

Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
will4557
Veteran

On my truck which is the 3.9 it seemed to make it feel like it has better throttle response.. This is the set up that I am running on my truck. In the pic it is on my ram but I have taken it off and put it on my dak..If you look at the valve cover on the right you will see the crankcase breather I was talkin about!
Name:  0613111205.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  113.2 KB

Old 11-11-2011, 11:11 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

did any of you have to do any mods to have it fit on the throttle body? or did it drop and bolt right up

Old 11-12-2011, 12:49 AM
will4557
Veteran

I put a 1/2" spacer (not 100% sure it needed it but just to be safe) on there to make sure the throttle linkage would clear the bottom of the air hat at WOT and I also had to put a longer stud in the TB because the factory one wasnt long enough to go all the way through so I could put the wing nut on it..

Old 11-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Rabid21
Veteran

InnerCityHillBilly since we have the same truck (Year/engine) you'll need a spacer so that it mounts flush without any gaps.
Heres a few pics of mine. You can see the attachment for the vacuum line in a baggy in the bottom left of my first pic all I had to do was drill the holes and it bolted right on. I'd assume this spectre one would be relatively similar. Like will4557 I also had to get a longer stud coming off the TB so I could get my wingnut to thread onto it since the eddie was slightly taller then the stock setup.

And here it is installed after a repaint recently and will4557 you have a great taste in decals for your AC Cover :P

Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Originally Posted by InnerCityHillBilly
for the guys who have put the open filter, have you noticed any increases in performance or mpg. the only thing holdin me back from buying that set up is that it is suckin in hot air instead of the stock set up which takes in fresh air
I agree about the hot air versus the cold air, my vote would definitely be for the cold air but I definitely like the open filter concept. A friend of ours took the hood scoop of a Tourismo car and put it on his Dak with a hole at the bottom and thats how he sucks the cold air into his breather. The hood scoop fits nice and neat BUT where the heck would you find a Tourismo car?

Quick Reply: Open Air Filter