1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

90 Dakota Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Dakota Brakes?

Hello, well I noticed over the past two days the caliper on the right side of my 90 Dakota Convertible has hung up. The truck has almost 95k miles on it. That being said before I got it sat in storage for 4 years. Anyways, without applying the brakes the truck pulls hard to the right. When I brake it pulls to the left. One last thing I want to note is that the ABS and Brake light is on in the dash. The right wheel is hot to the the touch.

At any rate, how hard is it for myself to replace the calipers, hoses, rotors, and pads? Would the procedure be the same for a 94 or 95 Dakota as I see I can download that FSM (Factory Service Manual)? I don't have a manual or FSM for this truck yet but, before I (decide) took it to a shop I just wanted to see what I would be in for. I mean I've done the pads and rotors on my 04 Ram which was easy but, this 90 is another beast. Anyways, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:48 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't say, so I assume this is a 2WD truck? I haven't done brake work on a 2WD Dakota specifically (mine's 4WD) but if it's like most other disc brake-equipped vehicles, it's not too difficult. Shouldn't require special tools either, maybe a breaker bar (socket wrench with a long handle, no rachet). The hose may actually be the hardest part, where it separates from the brake line.

The procedure should be the same for Dakotas from '87 to '96 (1st gen). You can also check the AutoZone website, they usually have steps for changing out brake assemblies for specific vehicles.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:10 AM
kahanabob
Captain

not hard, note the rotors include the entire hub assembly (one piece unit). be prepaired to clean and grease the bearings.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

It's very basic brakes. Nothing too magical--and should only require basic mechanic's tools. If you're ordering new disks, be sure to get a set of wheel seals--some brake cleaner for cleaning the bearings, and wheel bearing grease.

Can the truck sit for another week or two? I'd order the parts from RockAuto, if you can wait. Savings will be substantial. & while your at it, order the the rear brake cylinders and shoes--do an inspection and see if you can turn the drums or if you need a set of those too.

Here's a current RockAuto discount code number

Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM
mopar_guy
Amateur

I just did a rear brake job on my '89 Dakota. The Rear brake cylinders are only $10 each through NAPA and all of the springs were in poor condition so I got the spring kits too.

The front calipers should be held with two pins and they aren't difficult to remove. Be very careful when you remove the hoses from the hard brake lines.

Dave

Old 09-01-2013, 09:54 PM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Thanks guys. I may do an order through RockAuto for some of the stuff I need. I've had a lot on my plate so hopefully soon I'll get around to it. I did have one more question. On the rotor/hub assemblies I seen you can buy them with the new bearing cups pressed in. That being said I am wondering if they are already greased being pressed in if that makes any sense?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most any bearing assemblies, like hubs, have been pre-greased these days.

Last edited by ragged89; 09-02-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:49 AM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Thank you. Once I get some of the tune up stuff done then it's off to the brakes and finishing up cosmetics.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Thanks again everyone. Well, looks like I'm going to be into this for quite a bit of money. It sat for 4 years before I got it and who knows how long it sat elsewhere in storage. Anyways, it's going to need everything brake wise including new lines and parking brake cables. Not going to be cheap since I'm having a garage do the work but, I am providing my most of my own parts. I would do my own work but, I don't have an empty garage and I just dropped my truck off before surgery. Oh well, all is life right.

Quick Reply: 90 Dakota Brakes?