1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

First 1-2 Shift "Hangs" When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:58 AM
craZivn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 1-2 Shift "Hangs" When Cold

Hi Guys,

'89 Dakota, transmission is a '93 and had a fresh rebuild with a Transgo shift kit installed about 1,000 miles ago.
When I first start driving the truck, it hangs in 1st gear until I let the gas pedal return almost completely to idle position, then shifts hard into second.

There are a little over a thousand miles on the rebuild and it just started doing this. It only does it once, on the initial start of the day. After that it works perfectly.

Any ideas? I really want to know if this is something I should immediately investigate, or just wait til I do the 5,000-mile fluid and filter change?

Thanks,
Ivan

Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Other than the shift kit, what did you do? New bands? I think I'd probably investigate what's gone wrong. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think auto transmissions are the closest thing to magic I can imagine. But it seems to me that if performance and operation is deteriorating, you want to get in there and fix it before it fails completely.

Sorry,

Old 09-23-2013, 02:14 PM
craZivn
Rookie

New bands, clutches, steels soft parts and hard seals. What confuses me is that after the first shift, it shifts perfectly. I've brought the truck to a stop immediately after the malfunction and started off again and the 1-2 shift is perfect.

Also, I found out yesterday that starting out with the shift lever in 1st and manually upshifting does not get around the problem, it still hangs.

I'll pick up some fluid and filter kit next time I'm in town so I'll be ready to do a pan drop. I wonder if there's some gunk that made it's way into the valve body somewhere?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

years ago i had trouble with 60s 727s hanging up to go into rev when the filter was clogged and cold outside.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

You may need to take the governor body off the rear tail and bore out pistons holes just a bit. I had the same problem with my 1991 mits truck. It has the dodge 904 transmission. That was the first year for a dodge 4 speed transmission in the Mitsubishi pick up. After I clean the bores and pistons, it been fine. It also could be shift valve causing the hang up too.

Last edited by master tech; 09-23-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add to story
Old 09-24-2013, 12:21 AM
craZivn
Rookie

If it's the governor, will I run the risk of ruining anything else by letting it be and putting up with it?

I'll be dropping the pan and doing a fluid/filter change in the next week or so. Hopefully Moe is right and it's just a clogged filter...

Old 09-24-2013, 04:04 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i forgot i have seen LOTS of info about DO only use ATF+4 fulid. and NOT the additive to reg fulid. just what i have seen. allso i ran across an external filter. goes in the coolant tube. i think the left rear tube is return.

man o man i about forgot yes its a cut & past sorry. __________________
after you clean the trans. add this to your*chrysler*trans. an external fluid filter
1. go to auto-zone. get 2210, its called a power steering filter, but it is for transs to. it is for 3/8 tubing. by (magna-fine) be sure to use high pressure hose. Reff:http://www.magnafilter.com
2. for other sizes wix 58964 5/16 tube size

Last edited by moe7404; 09-24-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:57 AM
craZivn
Rookie

That is an excellent idea, will pick one up when I get the fluid and pan filter! Thanks!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is some information I have found, I don't if it applys. But I thought I would post it anyway.
NOTE: BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS RECALL, REVIEW VIP OR VEHICLE HISTORY TAB TO VERIFY THAT THE RECALL APPLIES TO THIS VEHICLE AND HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED.

May 2000

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Safety Recall No. 871
Automatic Transmission Manual Valve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Models

1991-1992
(AN)
Dodge Dakota

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 42RH (A500) Automatic Transmission (Sales Code – DGN).

IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer used vehicle inventory. Dealers should complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject

If you move the gearshift selector on about 123,000 of the above vehicles toward, but not into, the park position, the following two conditions can occur:

After a short delay, the transmission reverse gear may hydraulically engage and the vehicle may move rearward if the engine is running; or
The vehicle may roll downhill if the engine is turned off.
Either of these conditions can cause an accident and/or injury without warning.

Repair

The steel automatic transmission manual valve must be replaced with an aluminum valve. This repair also involves replacing several seals, transmission fluid, filter and pan gasket. This recall does NOT include replacement of any other transmission components. If other transmission service is required, the additional associated costs are the owner's responsibility.

Parts Information

Part Number
Description

CBMT8710
Manual Valve Package

Each package contains the following components:

Quantity
Description

Manual Valve (Aluminum)

Transmission Pan Gasket

Transmission Filter

Throttle Lever Shaft Seal

Manual Valve Lever Shaft Seal

Solenoid Wiring Connector O-Rings

Each dealer to whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive enough Manual Valve Packages to service about 10% of those vehicles.

In addition, each vehicle requires 9 pints of transmission fluid to be added to the transmission. Dealers should order enough Mopar ATF+3 Transmission Fluid to service vehicles as necessary.

Part Number
Description

05010124AA
Mopar ATF+3 Transmission Fluid – One Quart

OR

05010125AA
Mopar ATF+3 Transmission Fluid – One Gallon

Service Procedure

Shift the transmission into the Neutral position.
Raise the vehicle on an appropriate hoist.
Disconnect the shift linkage from the shift lever bracket.
Disconnect the shift and throttle lever brackets from the valve body manual lever shaft. Clean any dirt and debris from around the shaft.
Disconnect the neutral switch electrical connector.
Remove the neutral switch.
Disconnect the valve body overdrive solenoid electrical connector.
Position a drain pan under the transmission pan.
Remove the transmission pan and gasket.
Remove the filter from the valve body. Discard the filter.
Remove the valve body attaching bolts.
Lower the valve body slightly and remove the accumulator piston and the accumulator outer spring and inner spring (if equipped).
Remove the park rod E-clip and disconnect the park rod from the manual lever (rooster comb).
Remove the valve body and set it on a clean work surface.
Secure the detent ball and spring in the housing with Miller Special Tool #6583 (Figure 1).
Remove the manual lever shaft E-clip and washer (Figure 2).
Remove the manual lever (Figure 2).
Remove the steel manual valve from the valve body (Figure 2).
Install the aluminum manual valve into the valve body (Figure 2).
Remove the throttle lever shaft seal from the manual lever.
Clean the throttle lever shaft and manual lever surfaces.
Install the provided throttle lever shaft seal into the manual lever (Figure 2).
Install the manual lever and engage the lever with the manual valve (Figure 2).
Install the manual lever shaft E-clip and washer (Figure 2).
Remove the Special Tool from the detent ball and spring (Figure 1).
Remove the two (2) O-rings from the solenoid case connector (Figure 1).
Install the two (2) provided O-rings on the solenoid case connector (Figure 1).
Remove the manual lever shaft seal from the transmission case.
Install the accumulator piston and the inner spring (if equipped) into the transmission case bore. A small amount of petroleum jelly can be used to hold the piston in the bore.
Place the manual lever in the Low position.
Lubricate the manual lever shaft and solenoid case connector O-rings with petroleum jelly.
Position the accumulator piston outer spring on the valve body.
Raise the valve body into position. Use one or two bolts to hold the valve body in place.
Connect the park rod to the manual lever and install the E-clip.
Align the accumulator springs, manual lever shaft and solenoid case connector, and then seat the valve body onto the transmission case.
Install the valve body attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts alternately and evenly to 100 in-lbs (11 N×m).
Install the new filter onto the valve body. Tighten the bolts to 35 in-lbs (4 N×m).
Disconnect the rear transmission cooler line.
Install the provided manual lever shaft seal into the transmission case. Use a 15/16" deep well socket to seat the seal.
Connect the rear transmission cooler line.
Connect the valve body overdrive solenoid electrical connector.
Install the neutral switch.
Connect the neutral switch electrical connector.
Connect the shift and throttle lever brackets to the valve body manual lever shaft.
Connect the shift linkage.
Clean the old gasket material from the transmission case and pan surfaces, if necessary.
Install the transmission pan using the new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 13 ft-lbs (17 N×m).
Lower the vehicle.
Fill the transmission with 9 pints of Mopar ATF+3 transmission fluid or equivalent.
Start the vehicle. With the parking brake engaged, cycle the transmission through all of the gears.
Place the vehicle into Neutral and check the transmission fluid level. Adjust as necessary.
NOTE: The transmission fluid level must be checked with the transmission in Neutral.

Check the transmission for any leaks and adjust the shift and throttle linkage if necessary.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:

Labor Op. No.
Description
Time

Replace transmission manual valve
1.2 hours

Add the cost of the recall parts package and the transmission fluid plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim. To claim the MOPAR transmission fluid, use the quart part number with a quantity of five (5) OR use the gallon part number with a quantity of one (1) and the quart part number with a quantity of one (1).

NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.

Parts Return

Not required.

Dealer Notification and Vehicle List

All dealers will receive a copy of this dealer recall notification letter by first class mail. Two additional copies will be sent through the DCMMS, and the MDS2 will be updated to include this recall in the near future. Each dealer to whom involved vehicles were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive a list of their involved vehicles. The vehicle list is arranged in Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) sequence. Owners known to DaimlerChrysler are also listed. The lists are for dealer reference in arranging for service of involved vehicles.

DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP

All involved vehicles have been entered to DIAL System Functions 53 and VIP for dealer inquiry as needed.

Function 53 provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The customer name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from Function 53 within several days of repair claim submission. To use this system, type "53" at the "ENTER FUNCTION" prompt, then type "ORD871".

Quick Reply: First 1-2 Shift "Hangs" When Cold